108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting up HP SIM to respond to external SNMP traps

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Tamayo
Occasional Contributor

Setting up HP SIM to respond to external SNMP traps

I am new to HP SIM and am trying to figure out how to get it to respond to SNMP traps. I have an APC UPS, and keep sending out test traps in hopes that the SIM discovery tool will pick them up, but I'm assuming I have something configured wrong. I would like to be able to grab the traps in SIM and send them to myself through email if possible. Is there a walkthrough somewhere on how to set this up?

I have configured and uploaded the powernet mib, specific for APC products. Using Automatic Event Handling in SIM I'm able to ping the IP and recognize that it is responsive. Any help is appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
BPE
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

1. Did you already discover the IP address of your UPS inside SIM?
2. Go to the event filter and allow unregister events. In case somthing went wrong with the MIB loading you should see at least the unregister event from your UPS test trap as soon as the device is known to SIM(1).
3. The SNMP trap is absed on UDP check if you have network devices or firewall which filter out the trap on the way to your SIM server.

Michael Tamayo
Occasional Contributor

Allowing unregistered events worked like a charm, thank you very much. I had tried using the powernet mib that comes pre-configured (but not pre-uploaded) with HP SIM. Will try using a newer powernet mib, otherwise the unregistered events should work fine.

Thanks again.
Michael Tamayo
Occasional Contributor