New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting up SIM..

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pete Camp
Occasional Contributor

Setting up SIM..

Carrying on with the HPSIM Set up.

A couple more things that I need some more help with.

I had 11 servers with just the IP address shown, not the server name. Reading some earlier posts I deleted the offending servers, then tried re-discovering through automatic discovery and a Host file (copied from the CIM 7 server that is still running and picking them up properly). This resolved 3 of them. Of the Remaining 8 I have tried various things such as Manual discovery, Automatic discovery etc, Changing the system link settings all to no avail. The strange thing is a different team is also using HP-SIM and these 8 servers were all picked up automatically, with no trouble, despite the setting being the same (as far as I can tell, i only have limited use of there CMS). The other "odd" thing is that of these 8 servers 6 of them (that are all in work group, but still accessible from the domain) you cannot connect to. When you click the "from Insight Manager" link (which is showing as ok), a new explorer box opens but it is totally empty. Does anyone have tips to point me in the correct direction?

Also I need to set up email alerting so that when we get a Minor, Major, or critical event we receive an email alert (fairly standard stuff I think) what is the quickest way of doing this (on a bit of a time scale thing here!). What I have tried so far hasn't worked.
probably missing something obvious, but it has been a LONG day......

Many Thanks In Advance,

Pete
7 REPLIES 7
Craig McKellar
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Regarding email - if you set up the email account to be sent from & the SMTP server in Options -> Events -> Automatic Event Handling -> Email Settings
then in Options -> Events -> Status Change Event Settings you can assign what hardware changes will trigger an email.

Are all the Agents services & SNMP running on the un-named servers?
Pete Camp
Occasional Contributor

Ok started setting up the alerts, need to spend some more time with it I think.

As for the other issue with the unresolved server names, this has been resolved. A typo in the network settings on the server itself!
David Latorre
Advisor

Hi,

a long time after this issue it seems it comes up again...

the fact is that we are setting up our HPSIM 5.0SP4 server in a Win2000 server and we are also finding this problem with the hosts files and the automatic discovery Pete describes.

Pete, could you tell me a little more about how you did to fix it?

I read in another thread about putting the hosts in the etc\hosts file. I did it and it worked but only for the names HPSIM uses to name the devices, it doesn├В┬┤t use the "#$IMXE" tags....

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

David
Craig McK
Trusted Contributor

Hi David,

Are these troublesome servers multi-homed?
David Latorre
Advisor

Nope, no multi-homed. Moreover, they are not in the DNS.

The odd thing here is that if I put the same line I had in the hpsim hosts file in the etc\hosts file, HPSIM takes the desired name.

It looks like if the discovery is not taking the hpsim hosts file...

Thanks in advance

David
Craig McK
Trusted Contributor

They're not in DNS?
I would guess that's what's causing it then - when the CMS does a reverse lookup check on the IP address, it's not coming back with a name. If you manually specify the names in the etc/hosts file it will use this, but otherwise Windows has no way of know what the name of the target is?

If you're going to use a hosts file, I would create it in etc/hosts first, then import this into the CMS.
David Latorre
Advisor

Yes, that├В┬┤s a point.

But there├В┬┤s still the problem with the "#$IXME" tags (to change the type, snmp communities and so on), since HPSIM is not taking them. Any suggestions about this?

David