1753417 Members
5094 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Setup Managed System?

Jeff Tangen
Occasional Contributor

Setup Managed System?

In chapter 7 of the SIM Install & User guide, it says to Launch SSH and type command mxagentconfig -g. Do I need to do that on the CMS as well? All I have setup so far is the CMS. When I try that command I get the GUI and I type in the Hostname, Username/Password and Connect CMS. It says it is not able to connect. Is the CMS a managed system as well? Why the SSH stuff? What does it mean by "Copy the SSH generated key from the CMS to the managed system"? Do I need to update my Web Management agents on each of my Proliants first?
2 REPLIES 2
Jadrice Toussaint
Honored Contributor

Re: Setup Managed System?

Jeff -

Let me start by saying that ssh is a secure shell utility. It provides a secure way to access the command prompt from a remote machine and it also comes with a bundle of useful tools that can also be used such as scp for secure copy and sftp for secure ftp etc. I would suggest that you brush up on openssh if you're going to use it. Although not needed for a seccessful implementation of SIM, It is useful for running command line tools.

As stated in the user guide, You need to install openssh on the managed server in otherwords, the clien. Then run the mxagentconfig -g on the SIM server command prompt. You will only be able to connect after you installed and configured openssh on the client. The user guide as a pretty good section on how to setup the managed systems.
Scott Shaffer
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Setup Managed System?

Jeff,

No, you don't have to do that to the CMS - it should be setup properly during installation.

SSH is only used for the command line tools that you want to run on the remote systems. If you don't want to run those tools, then SSH isn't required.

Please look at the readme PDF for instructions on getting SSH to work properly on Windows 2003 though - there is a big list of special steps to perform due to increased security in Windows 2003.
Dude, we've been totally misled by our album covers!