5785 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sim 5.0 SP2 Upgrade does not update SIM

Kevin Kelling
Super Advisor

Sim 5.0 SP2 Upgrade does not update SIM

Downloaded the 400MB SIM 5 SP2 pacakge.

When I installed it I noticed it went rather quickly and that the SIM services never stopped nor started. (PMP was updated successfully however).

I can help/about and a version number of 5.00.00 confimed my suspicious.

I cross-checked several files and verfied that newer files exist in the 400MB download than what is in the equivalent directories that SIM is running from.

Has anyone else encountered this? I've tried custom and typical installs with consistent results. Any insight would be appreciated.

thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Kevin Kelling
Super Advisor

Re: Sim 5.0 SP2 Upgrade does not update SIM

update:

If I run the hpsim\win_ia32\hpsim\hpsim.exe (161MB) file in the download it responds that "SIM is already installed" and does nothing.
Larry Patterson_6

YES Kevin,
Tried today, same version as before, same thing happened.

I think the install just goes..well duh you already have 5.0, and doesn't do anything.

how bout HP come out with a SP2 update patch instead of a total reinstall?
Scott Shaffer
Esteemed Contributor

HP SIM 5 SP2 primarly fixes installation problems. As a result, we didn't see the need to create an upgrade kit - if you have it installed, it wouldn't change much.

There is one fix - a rare problem found with trust relationships. If you have that problem, call in to support and we'll get you the hotfix. If you aren't seeing the problem (its timing related and would affect EVERY system at once, so you'll know if you have it) then there really isn't anything in SP2 for you.

Just to be clear though - SP3 (due in mid-December) will be released as both an upgrade as well as a full kit.
Dude, we've been totally misled by our album covers!
Kevin Kelling
Super Advisor

I was told that SP2 fixes problems with trusts being lost and hardware-based system lists being corrupted. Both problems we are suffering from.

Does SP2 not address these issues?
Kevin Kelling
Super Advisor

Sorry I read your post too fast.

We already have the patch from HP support for the trust issue, but we still suffer from issue where hardware-based lists stop working and bascially become useless.

I was under the impression from an advisory bulleting that this would be fixed in 5.02