1753977 Members
7354 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sim discoverying multi-homed boxes

David Brichacek
Occasional Contributor

Sim discoverying multi-homed boxes

We have a number of servers that are multi-homed (IP on the NIC and Web sites). Sim v5.2 SP1 is discovering the primary address and name correctly. The secondary address is being discovered as the IP address the prefered system name set to be the IP address (often there is no serial number in the discovery). If we try to change the prfered system name to the server name then SIM will not allow the duplicate name. If we change the prefered system name to some pther name and check the don't let discovery change the name the next discover cycle will icnore the name and bring back the IP addressed name. Is there any way to handle these multi hommed boxes to prevent this behavior? Thanks,
2 REPLIES 2
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I am having the same problem:

1) Duplicate entries with the same server name showing up twice.
2) Duplicate entries with the second entry showing up via it's serial number and in "maintenance" mode.
3) Server names in SIM being updated with a CNAME instead of the host name. For example if "servera" has a CNAME of "webserver", SIM will change the entry of "servera" to "webserver".

I never attributed this to dual-homed servers (75% of our servers do have two NICs) - but maybe that is the key.

Regardless, I have let to find a solution other that turn of the "auto-discovery based on SNMP trap received" option.

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Sorry - I meant to say I am having a "similar" problem, but I bet it is related to what you are seeing.

Nelson