Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752808 Members
6369 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sim v6 and SNMP trap processing

MarkRuk

Sim v6 and SNMP trap processing

Anyone seen an issue with v6 where inbound traps stop appearing in the "all events" view? Still get events logged for status polling and discoveries tasks but not inbound alerts from servers. Restart of CMS fixes it but struggling with root cause.
6 REPLIES 6
operator_2
Advisor

Hi,

Have you tried the following....

Options - Events - Event Filter Settings.

Ensure "Accept unregistered events" is ticked.

Thanks
MarkRuk

tested that yesterday - makes no difference whatsoever, events still not displayed. When this settings is active and you restart CMS you then get flooded with unregistered events and have to turn it off again.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Why are you being flooded with unregistered events? Where are they coming from ? If that is happening, most likely the volume is overwhelming the Windows SNMP Trap service and so your desired traps aren't being processed.
MarkRuk

you have to bear in mind we have 8000 objects in this Sim instance. We do not allow unregistered traps (ever). I turned it on briefly to check and see if we had a mib compile issue that was causing this problem. I turned it on but still no inbound traps were being displayed. Finally when I restarted the CMS to see if that would fix it (it did) I forgot to turn off unregistered traps and noticed about 300 unregistered events so turned it back off. Once the CMS was restarted inbound traps from our server estate were being displayed in the "all events" view as expected. this has happened twice now since we migrated to v6, CMS restart has fixed it on both occasions. Never happened in 5.0, 5.1 or 5.31.
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

We have the same thing happening.
One interesting thing, is that if a server has a problem (i.e. we had a BL20p G3 lose a processor) we get an error message that a "service event has occurred".

We then have to open up the SMH of the box to find the error.. snmp traps not flowing.
It's very troublesome.. wish there was a fix.

Sometimes they come in... but not always.
It's usually after a reboot that they work, and then they stop
Torben Holm
Advisor

Hi.

The same here...events from servers doesnt show up randomly or is very late...So we also kind of lost faith in SIM 6.0..

This needs to be fixed immediately...It is the cores function of SIM, so if we cant rely on this...then....

Torben