1753485 Members
4243 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Simple email notification on Disk failure

Alan Barber
Advisor

Simple email notification on Disk failure

Got a novice Insight question for you all. I created an Automatic Event handling to email some of us if a disk failure is detected. I just want to make sure the conditions of this are correct. I did the Options, Event, Automatic Event Handling and created a new event. Did the name and then Event type is (SWCC Events / Disk Device Has Failed). Basically I just want to make sure this is the correct setting to monitor and email for ANY and ALL disks that show as failed.? I selected for all systems but just want to make sure the criteria are correct. It is also an earlier version at 5.0 Insight. Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

Hi Alan,
Two things...

1. SWCC relates to StorageWorks, which is the old DEC storage system. So I would look instead under the category above that called Proliant Storage Events.

2. The idea with SIM is to detect a drive problem before the drive fails. The firmware on the drives have preset factory thresholds which can be used by our Insight Agents to predict problems before they occur should these thresholds be exceeded. So what I would do is point to an event type that will give me a heads up that the drive is having an issue before the drive dies. This event type is listed as:

Physical Drive Threshold Passed (3037)

And it is found in the Proliant Storage Events category, a couple of categories above the SWCC category.
Good luck,
Ed
Alan Barber
Advisor

Thank you Ed, that was just what I was after. Very much appreciate your straight forward explanation and where to find everything. Again, Thank you!
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

Well, I suggest that if you are satisfied with Ed's answer, you throw him a couple of points :-)

Ole Thomsen