1752329 Members
5959 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Software Version Status Polling Pending task takes hours

Lenny Davis
Regular Advisor

Software Version Status Polling Pending task takes hours

Running SIM 4.1SP2 and the Software Version Status Polling Pending task seems to take around 1 hour to scan each W2K / W2K3 server. Doesn't matter if the server scanned is local or across the WAN. It never used to take this long as the job is set to run every 6 hours. I would have to change the job to run every 24 hours to ensure jobs don't get queued up. How can I speed it up? Are there any priority settings I can upgrade anywhere?

Thanks

Lenny
5 REPLIES 5
Neysters, Lutz
Frequent Advisor

By default Software Version Status Polling (SWSP) runs only once a week, should be the same in SIM 4.1 as in our 5.0 . May be because it takes so long? As management software and drivers don't change too often I think this is a reasonable period.
When we had SIM on older hardware, it took much longer than nowadays. Last SWSP for our about 100 servers took 45 minutes, and I don't think there's much I can do to speed it up.
Lenny Davis
Regular Advisor

Taking 45 minutes in total to scan 100 servers is lightening fast. I have setup mine to scan 6 servers and it seems to take several hours. It definitely never used to take so long. Is the scan meant to run on all 6 servers at once and feed the results back? Mine seems to do one at a time and if it gets stuck on a particular server (as it sometimes does) it just sits there forever.

Thanks

Lenny
Neysters, Lutz
Frequent Advisor

All for SIM 5.0 SP4 on my side:
When I start the scan manually (SIM / Tasks & Logs / View Scheduled Tasks / SWSP / Run now) the Task Instance Results show me always 4 servers "running", only the number of "completed" systems grows. The list below shows the single servers and their status. You might be able to identify the culprit this way. And you should check the Version Control Agent (VCA) on "this particular server", I guess.

Pls. don't forget to assign points ;)
Lenny Davis
Regular Advisor

VCA up to Date on all servers. Think I'll just have to accept that it's slowed up for some reason unitl I upgrade to 5.1 SP1.

Thanks

Lenny
Lenny Davis
Regular Advisor

Looks like it just stays in a pending state for 4 servers. The other 20 were fine, so I need to find out why this might be. All software on these 4 servers is bang up to date.

Lenny