Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752290 Members
4520 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Software update needed for ATI Rage XL Video Controller or not?

SOLVED
Go to solution
bboone
Occasional Advisor

Software update needed for ATI Rage XL Video Controller or not?

Hello I have 2 windows 2003 servers that are having trouble installing a driver via the version control agent. We use HP SIM 5.1 and the latest support pack 7.70a on our windows 2003 servers. The version control agent says that the "HP ProLiant ATI RAGE XL Video Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003" is at version 5.10.2600.6013 currently but shows the software status as yellow because 5.10.2600.6024 is the latest version available.

When trying to install the updated driver via the version control agent I get the error below. This happens on both boxes. I have also manually downloaded the cp006772.exe file manually from HP and tried installing with the same result. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you for your time, Brett.
---------------------------------------
Entry Details
Severity Informational
Task ID VCA1177614837
Date / Time 4/26/2007 2:15:58 PM
Message Smart Component, cp006772.exe, returned result code 3, no action taken.
Additional Data
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup Session Beginning 4/26/2007 - 14:15:52 PM

Command Line Parameters Given: /force /silent

Name: HP ProLiant ATI RAGE XL Video Controller Driver for
Windows Server 2003
New Version: 5.10.2600.6024

Beginning Silent Session...

The software will not be installed on this system because the required
hardware is not present in the system or the software/firmware doesn't
apply to this system.

Installation will not continue.

End Session
11 REPLIES 11
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Did you try to install manualy...you will get more information on what to do next..i think it see it!
bboone
Occasional Advisor

Yes i have tried manually and recieve the exact same error message as mentioned above...
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

What is showing device manager for GRAPHIQUE CARD as driver?
bboone
Occasional Advisor

Very good point. In the device manager it shows the name as "ATI Technologies Inc. 3D RAGE IIC PCI" with Driver Version "5.2.3790.0". Any idea as to why hp version control thinks it is an "HP Proliant ATI RAGE XL Video Controller Driver" with version 5.10.2600.6013 thinking it is installed?
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Most likely this is due to the server having a RILOE installed and that Display driver will override the one installed on the system board.

The only way to get around this is to disable the device in Device Manager, if you have a RILOE installed.
bboone
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply Todd. I do indeed have a riloe installed in the servers. I took your advice and disabled the display adapter which forced a reboot. After the reboot the server came back and still thinks the box needs this driver for the video card? I checked under control panel-management agents and tried with the riloe as an active agent and an inactive agent with the same results. I think we are getting close though. Anymore ideas anyone? I have attached a screenshot of the problem.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Here is the official response of your issue from HP.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=PSD_EM000405_CW01&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Also, make sure you assign points to answers provided by members of this forum.

All responses deserve some point rating.
bboone
Occasional Advisor

The link you provided me is for windows 2000 systems and was published in the yr 2000... I am running windows 2003 and if you see my previous post i have already disabled the video controller in the device manager.. see attached screenshot.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor
Solution

What model server is it, there could be a conflict with the video on the RILOE and the onboard video of the server. You can only have one or the other work. Additionally, you want to make sure you have the RILOE installed in the correct slot for your specific server. The RILOE needs to be installed in a very specific slot for every server. You can find out what slot it is supported in by going here.

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/remote-lightsout/server-slot-matrix.html