1753731 Members
4745 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Standalone server monitoring

Luke Cassar

Standalone server monitoring

Hi,
I haven't setup a HP server for a while, but I remember back in the day after you could install something simple on a server which could then show you detailed information about what was wrong when the server had an error light.

I thought this might be HPSIM.. but after a 600MB download and trying to install MSDE2005 I figure thats a bit over the top.

I dont want to monitor 500 servers I just want to keep an eye on the local machine.

The System Management Homepage is installed, but does not display any information (eg. does not know the system type, etc..).

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Evgeny Baykov
Advisor

Re: Standalone server monitoring

Which agents are installed on this server?
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

Hi

The SMH is a small web server that displays infos provided by the insight agents : these agents exists in two formats :
either based on SNMP or WBEM.
In the case of snmp, you need to configure it : in windows, the snmp service must be installed and configured properly so that traps are sent to localhost, and that rights are properly assigned. Without these configuration steps, the system type appears generally as unknwon :-) and the SMH is quite empty.

If you are using insight providers, wmi service must be installed and running.

So try snmp first :-)

hope it helps

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
Luke Cassar

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your response.

Basically I ran the bootable CD that came with the server to configure the RAID array and ILO settings, then install the OS of Win2003 64-bit which all went fine.

I then threw the CD back into the server and installed the System Management Homepage.

Beyond this I tried installing a few other things last time, but it didn't work, so I scrapped the server and rebuilt again.

What I need to know is whether there is something else I need to install to be able to monitor the server locally, or else how do I configure the SNMP service to work with SMH.

Can anyone help with the specifics of what I need to do?

Thanks!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

If you build the server with Smart Start then all of the Agents and their supporting drivers as well as snmp and the SMH are installed.

If you don't want to rebuild again, then download the Proliant Support pack for the correct OS and then run setup.exe. That will run up the remote Deployment Utility. Deploy the entire PSP. Haven't done this for a while, so you may need to install SNMP from the Windows CD first.
Luke Cassar

Thanks guys you both provided a bit of info that led to the eventual solution(?) of this issue.

Basically I installed WBEM drivers from the Proliant Support Pack which got most of the functionality working (does not recognize the CPU's but everything else reports statuses and such).

Thanks for your help guys!
Luke Cassar

Just random browsing and found the final answer was:

Install the Insight Management Agents.

Doing this allowed me to select SNMP as a Management Homepage Data Source. That makes the Management Homepage fully functional and recognizes all hardware/management processors, etc..

Cheers!