New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storage Essentials installation: Cannot open SE Home Page

SOLVED
Go to solution
maxwell_smart
Frequent Advisor

Storage Essentials installation: Cannot open SE Home Page

Hello Everybody,

I am installing SE 5.1 with a mgmt server on Win2K3 (blade server BL685c). Everything went OK during SW setup, but when trying to open the homepage from SIM menu, all I get is a Login screen requesting username/password and the system's administrator credentials just can't get in (Login failure). Is there a SP or specific patch to solve this error condition?

Thanks for your comments!
7 REPLIES 7
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Xavier,
Have you installed the SIM Connector ?
Did you change the SIM MANAGER Password on setup ?

h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA1-2845ENW.pdf

Regards.
maxwell_smart
Frequent Advisor

Hello Dude,

Yes, I did install the SIM connector. I went through all the instructions documented in the Enterprise ed. Installation manual (see http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01070444/c01070444.pdf). I didn't change the SIM_MANAGER password since that was commented as an optional step, though. I've tried both credentials: Win2K3 administrator's and SIM_MANAGER's. Neither let me in.
JonMRobinson

Xavier,

I have exactly the same issue. Did you ever get a resolve on this?

Jon
maxwell_smart
Frequent Advisor

Nope. Not yet. And I haven't received an answer from HP support neither ?(
JonMRobinson
Solution

You'll never believe this but I got a resolve on this!

It's to do with the SP installed. Follow instructions 1 to 5 -

SUPPORT COMMUNICATION - CUSTOMER ADVISORY
Document ID: c01135535
Version: 1
ADVISORY: HP Storage Essentials Enterprise Edition 5.1.0 customers with HP-SIM integrated environments must upgrade to 5.1.0 Service Pack 3 before installing 5.1.0 Service Pack 4
NOTICE: The information in this document, including products and software versions, is current as of the Release Date. This document is subject to change without notice.
Release Date: 2007-08-23
Last Updated: 2007-08-23

DESCRIPTION
HP StorageWorks Storage Essentials Enterprise Edition 5.1.0 base must have Storage Essentials 5.1.0 Service Pack 3 installed prior to installing Storage Essentials 5.1.0 Service Pack 4, HP System Insight Manager (HP-SIM), and finally the HP-SIM Connector supplied with Service Pack 4.
If the Storage Essentials Enterprise Edition installation is not at v5.1.0 Service Pack 3 prior to installing v5.1.0 Service Pack 4, the HP-SIM Connector does not install completely and Storage Essentials runs as if in standalone mode.
Storage Essentials Standard Edition is not affected. Storage Essentials Standard Edition customers may upgrade directly to Storage Essentials 5.1.0 Service Pack 4.
SCOPE
The issue applies HP Storage Essentials Enterprise Edition 5.1.0 base, 5.1.0 Service Pack 1, and 5.1.0 Service Pack 2 customers who are currently running in an HP-SIM integrated environment or who intend to install the HP-SIM Connector. These systems must be upgraded to SE 5.1.0 Service Pack 3 before proceeding to SE 5.1.0 Service Pack 4.
The issue does not affect the following configurations:
Systems not running in an HP-SIM integrated environment (customers who do not install and who do not intend to install the HP-SIM Connector)
NOTE: If at a later time, Storage Essentials 5.1.0 Service Pack 4 customers decide to install the HP-SIM Connector, the customers must follow the steps in the workaround below.
Systems running Storage Essentials Standard Edition 5.1
Systems already running Storage Essentials Enterprise Edition 5.1.0 Service Pack 3
RESOLUTION
The issue is planned to be resolved in future software and service pack releases by the inclusion of the necessary file and/or a code update.
Workaround
Configurations that are within the scope of this issue must install Storage Essentials 5.1.0 Service Pack 3 before upgrading to SE 5.1.0 Service Pack 4. Refer to the documentation that accompanied the software for detailed instructions to perform the following procedures. Proceed as follows:
1. Uninstall the HP-SIM Connector.
2. Uninstall Storage Essentials Service Pack 4. Do not uninstall Storage Essentials, just uninstall Service Pack 4.
3. Install Storage Essentials 5.1.0 Service Pack 3.
4. Install Storage Essentials 5.1.0 Service Pack 4. 5) If this is a new installation and you do not have HP-SIM installed yet, install HP-SIM.
5. Install the HP-SIM Connector from the Service Pack folder.
RECEIVE PROACTIVE UPDATES
Receive support alerts (such as Customer Advisories), driver updates, software, firmware, and customer replaceable components, in your e-mail through HP Subscriber's Choice. Sign up for Subscriber's Choice Driver, Patch, Security, and Support alerts at the following URL: http://www.hp.com/go/myadvisory
To sign up for other Subscriber's Choice services, see: http://www.hp.com/go/e-updates

Hardware Platforms Affected: HP Storage Essentials Enterprise Edition Software
Components Affected: Not Applicable
Operating Systems Affected: Not Applicable
Software Affected: Not Applicable
Third Party Products Affected: Not Applicable
Support Communication Cross Reference ID: IA01135535
├В┬йCopyright 2007 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
Hewlett-Packard Company shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein. The information provided is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. To the extent permitted by law, neither HP or its affiliates, subcontractors or suppliers will be liable for incidental,special or consequential damages including downtime cost; lost profits;damages relating to the procurement of substitute products or services; or damages for loss of data, or software restoration. The information in this document is subject to change without notice. Hewlett-Packard Company and the names of Hewlett-Packard products referenced herein are trademarks of Hewlett-Packard Company in the United States and other countries. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.

maxwell_smart
Frequent Advisor

I am sorry it took sooo long to answer this thread. thank you so much Jon for your answer. Finally it was an issue on the SW version and had to wait months to get a solution. I guess this is the problem with "free" sofware.
maxwell_smart
Frequent Advisor

Ups! Final comments are in my answer above.