4561 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Strange HP SIM behaviour

B. ten Berge
Occasional Advisor

Strange HP SIM behaviour

Hello,

I'm not even sure where to start with this problem, so here goes.

We're running HP SIM 5.2 on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.
Things seemed to go alright, until the MS SQL templog.ldf file filled the entire C: partition.

Here's a summary of the strange things I see:
- I see a couple of ORPHAN entries; example: SERVER1 is now an orphaned entry, but when I edit the properties of this server and try to save it, I get an error that says that there's already a device with that name.
So, when I click on the + sign in front of the Operating System where it should be listed, I see the name SERVER1. When I click on SERVER1, I get a blank page in the right frame.
However, when I click on the OS name to list all servers running that OS in the right frame, SERVER1 isn't in that list.

- SERVER17 has 4 IP addresses, according to HP SIM. 3 of these IP addresses belong to other systems that are no longer in the system lists. One of these 3 unlisted systems can be found using the Search function....
When I try to manually add the other 2 servers, they won't get listed, nor can they be found.
When I delete SERVER17 and manually add the 3 previously missing servers, they appear visible like they should, but, when I add SERVER17 again, the 3 servers go byebye again and this SERVER17 shows their IP addresses.

I'm completely losing it, I can't even explain clearly what's going on, since these aren't the only strange things that are happening.
Any advice would be really welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Bob
14 REPLIES 14
Ananthak23
Trusted Contributor

Make sure that DNS has the correct record for Sever17. Instead of manually adding the servers try auto discovering these servers.

-Anantha
B. ten Berge
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply.

The DNS records are correct, when I do nslookups on these servers, all the IP's and reversed lookups are correct.
An automatic discovery occurs each morning at 5am, even well into the next day the other servers still don't appear in the lists and the IP addresses of the different servers still appear listed as being SERVER17's in HPSIM.

When I add a server manually, I tried it 2 ways, by IP address and by servername. Both have the same results.

Another thing that I noticed, is that all the Windows servers only appeared under the Trusted list, only after I edited each server's configuration (OS description and version, hardware description) they appear under the correct OS listings.
But when I delete a server and readd it even a day later, all those details I entered manually are back again?
Albert_39
Advisor

My tempdb log file is growing like crazy as well. I narrowed it down to te Bi-Weekly data collection task or the software version status polling task. I moved the software version scan out two hours so they didn't run at the same time and my log is still growing. of course the software scan has been running for almost 3 hours.

from SQL profiler.
I'm stuck in what looks like a loop of
create proc #jdts...
exec proc ....
delete proc ....

I canceled the task and it took 10-15 mins for the stored procedures to disappear from my SQL profiler trace. During the last running task my tempdb log file increased 6 fold. (I canceled it before it finished was only at 38%)

Specs Windows 2003 Standard Server
remote SQL Server 2000 stander w/SP3a.
Massimo Ripamonti
Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem.

HP SIM 5.2 is on W2003 Server with MSDE.

I'm managing 45 systems; I disabled automatic Discovery.

templog.ldf is filling the C partition.

Help!
Tony van den Heuvel
Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem.

HP SIM 5.2 is on W2003 Server with MSDE.

I'm managing 170 systems; I disabled automatic discovery

templog.ldf is filling the C partition.

Help!
B. ten Berge
Occasional Advisor

I know how to solve the growing database problem.
You should change the Recovery mode for the tempdb to Simple instead of Full.
The only way I know how to do this, is from the MSSQL Enterprise Manager, one of the properties of the database.
Another option is to move the tempdb.mdf and templog.ldf to a larger partition, there's a Microsoft KB article on how to do this here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224071#XSLTH3207121122120121120120
B. ten Berge
Occasional Advisor

Problem solved!

I now know what caused most strange anomalies, some of the servers were from the same Ghost image, thus had the same HostGUID under HKLM/Software/Compaq Insight Management.
After removing that key and restarting the HP Insight Server Agents service, a unique HostGUID was created and the servers/IP addresses are no longer linked/incorrect in HP SIM.
Albert_39
Advisor

Sorry, I'm running a full version SQL server and you can't change it from Simple. ;-}
Massimo Ripamonti
Occasional Contributor

I'm using MSDE and I don't know how to change the properties of database: Is there the MSSQL Enterprise Manager in MSDE?