Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscribe to WBEM Events/Indications in Linux?

Kevin Masaryk
Occasional Advisor

Subscribe to WBEM Events/Indications in Linux?

Is is possible to subscribe to WBEM Indications for a Linux system? SIM is successfully talking to our RHEL servers via WBEM but if I try "Options -> Events -> Subscribe to WBEM Events" for the Linux server, it runs and returns a failure message:

"FAILED to create indication subscription."

I receive the same message if I try the mxwbemsub command from the command line on the SIM server.

I've read through a lot of the documentation for SIM 5.3 and it's still unclear whether Event/Indications are supported in SIM from Linux hosts.
3 REPLIES
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Subscribe to WBEM Events/Indications in Linux?

If you have OpenPegasus installed and operational but don't have the HP ProLiant WBEM Providers installed, there would be no indication classes that would allow subscription. If you believe that you have the HP providers installed, use HP SIM's 'Manage Communications' feature to analyze what might be going on. More info on the HP ProLiant WBEM Providers: http://www.hp.com/go/hpwbem
Kevin Masaryk
Occasional Advisor

Sorry, but that doesn't really answer my question which is whether or not SIM supports subscribing to WBEM events on Linux hosts. SIM documentation is very clear that this functionality is supported on HPUX and Windows but it's not clear at all if it's supported on Linux.

If it is supported, then I do have a problem since I have the HP WBEM providers installed along with the SMH and SIM successfully collects information when I do a manual Discovery of the system. Of course, doing a discovery is not the same as subscribing to Events/Indications. Subscribing will give us real-time updates from the Linux hosts like SNMP does.

I should also add that we do not have SNMP installed since we're transitioning away from it in favor of WBEM.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Did you use 'Manage Communications' to diagnose the issue?