1753448 Members
5163 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Successful HPSIM implementation but VCRM time out issues

Alain Staelen
Advisor

Successful HPSIM implementation but VCRM time out issues

We have succesfully installed a HPSIM 5 management server without major issues over the weekend.

However the version control repository manager keeps giving me headaches.

I already put the VCA-service and the "version control repository manager agent" service on manual start. But the only workable setup I have now, is to not run the VCA on the HPSIM server and manually start up the VCRM AFTER the HPSIM is fully running.

Any similar experiences out there ?

Alain

15 REPLIES 15
Aravindh Rajaram
Honored Contributor

HPSIM is not dependent on VCA or VCRM. But both VCA and VCRM are dependent on HP System Management Homepage. Hope this throws some light for your problem.
TechGuru
Trusted Contributor

I am not clear with the Problem You have with VCRM.

When ever you restart the server, VCRM service will start automatically and will take some time to rescan the reporitory and start working, this is how it works normaly, what is the problem you have
Alain Staelen
Advisor

Thanks,

My problem is that the vca & vcrm service no longer work when I have them start automatically on boot. (after our HPSIM5 installation)

The SMH from the HPSIM comes up with timeout errors and the VCRM remains unaccessable to the VCA's from other servers.

Manually starting the VCRM after the server is fully booted and HPSIM is fully operational fixes that. At least for a while.

TechGuru
Trusted Contributor

VCRM Start time depends on the repository folder size, if you have more components in repository that will slow down your VCRMs start time, try to remove unwanted componenets and PSPs from VCRM
Ananthak23
Trusted Contributor

Also make sure that the system meets the minimum hardware requirement for SIM 5.0. (that is 1.5 GHz processor with 768 MB RAM)
Ian Grobler
Frequent Advisor

Interesting. I have seen something similar with the VCRM not working after upgrade to SIM5.0 and installing the newer VCRM & Systems Management Homepage. When logging onto the Sys Management Homepage I would get a message stating something like 'one of the components had not been registered properly' and when clicking on the VCRM link I would get a timeout.
I restarted the server numerous times without luck, the VCRM would always timeout.

On a whim I restarted the VCRM service after the server had been up for a while and under little load. At this stage the VCRM seems to have 'registered' properly with the Homepage and is now working. Very similar issue. I have not restarted the server since and may have the exact problem. Will check and let you know.
Szabolcs Petho_1
Regular Advisor

Another VCRM story happened with me. In my case I upgraded the previous SMH, VCRM etc. to PSP 7.40 level on the HP SIM 5.0 server. After the upgrade the VCRM service was in started state, but the login to the SMH slowed down and got timeout warning. I found if VCRM is not started I have no timeout issue, so I looked for the VCRM service process and found that there was a thread which is trying to do something with psp-7.10.w2k.i386.en_jp.exe. I done something experimental ;) and killed that thread with procexp, than the VCRM service exe was started normally, the SMH login timeout warning disappeared and login also became fast. So I removed that psp-7.10.w2k.i386.en_jp.exe file from the repository and my problem was solved finally. I tried to run that file and I got "A package definition file was not found. The file is not a valid Package." so it was really problematic, but was not handled by VCRM...

I suggest you to check your VCRM startup with procexp. I would make a try with an empty or a just emptied and built VCRM repository, since there is a chance the repository or some of your files are corrupted in it.
Ian Grobler
Frequent Advisor

Yup, correct. Upon restart of the server the VCRM was not functional. Basically I have to wait for SIM5.0 to initialise completely (HP Systems Insight Manager Check Service actually presents a web logon page) and then restart the VCRM. Once restarted the VCRM works, but intially it causes a timeout on the Sys Mgmt Homepage and is not functional...
Alain Staelen
Advisor

Watching the responses I guess I am not having an isolated incident with the VCRM.

I would appreciate a "Me too" response from the silent folks that also have the same issue so that I can more easily raise awareness at HP via a support case.

Thanks for the help,