108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sys Management HomePage (Thresholds)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fahrenheit
Advisor

Sys Management HomePage (Thresholds)

Sorry for all of these questions. I'm have some experience on other sys management software such as the ones from BMC's. However, I'm a complete newbie with HP SIMs.

My question today is concerning threshold setting through SyS Mgt Homepage. Basically, I would like to setup thresholds for logical disks which I can easily do on servers running Mgmt Agents For Serv 7.00.0.0 for windows. However, on 8.11.0.0 version, this option to get to "Operating System" in order to set the threshold for Logical Disk, etc.., is missing.

Are there anything I am forgetting to install or configure? Note that the 7.00.0.0 was installed/configured prior to my employment.

Attached is a screen shot comparison between Server Agent from 7.00.0.0 and 8.11.0.0. Notice besides "Operating System" module, I am also missing some other as well.

Thanks in Advance!

6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Sys Management HomePage (Thresholds)

From the SMH under Settings change the SMH Data Source from WBEM to SNMP.
WBEM is the default for 8.00 and above but doesn't seem to have all of the options just yet.
Fahrenheit
Advisor

Thank you, Rob!

I made the suggested changes from your instrucitons and it worked perfectly. Using SNMP is my preferred choice and was suprise that it defaulted to WBEM.

But there is something that I would like to understand about WBEM. If using WBEM, what type of transfer method will it be using to forward the events to the Management Console? Would that be SNMP or WBEM/WMI? Or is WBEM just a source to collect data?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

WMI/WBEM uses a "subscription" from the management server model. The WMI transport is DCOM. If you are using HP SIM, it uses the WMI mapper to translate between WMI over DCOM and WBEM over HTTPS.
Fahrenheit
Advisor

Thanks David!

From your description, WBEM seems too expensive to implement and manage. Wonder why anyone would choose it over SNMP? HP SIM should get rid of WBEM altogether. =)
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Yes, the feeling seems to be only use wbem if you have to but just to make things interesting it's set as the default.
And it's not configurable from the agent so you need to go in and manually change it.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

...the WBEM component is optional...so don't deploy it in the first place.