4750 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System Collections

Rob Rugg
Advisor

System Collections

Hi Everyone,

I am new to HP SIM and have a question regarding the collections of devices. There are collections for a bunch of different things but not hardware model collections. This seems a little odd to me. Do I need to custom create collections for all the different Proliant models I have or is there something I am missing? This makes it pretty difficult to deploy firmware to systems when you need to do a search etc.

Thanks for you help!
Rob
6 REPLIES 6
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

Updating firmware on servers is not something I would want to do with HPSIM, safest and only option for me is to do this with a firmware-cd so you can follow the firmware upgrade.

You can create seperate collections if you want to sub-divide your 'Servers' collection.
Rob Rugg
Advisor

It seems like a no brainer to deploy this way since one of the points of SIM is to centrally manage everything.

For the life of me I don't see why they wouldn't put a category for server products like 385 G5 etc.

thanks for the help.
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

I would think there are too many specific Proliant Models to have a default colection for every different model. plus there are new models coming out all the time. I am sure you could create a custom report to show you all the servers with a specific model, SA controller or with less than 1GB of memory.

regards,
martin
rob100
Occasional Advisor

I created my own collection based on the server model. Not a big work and great result for maintainance and inventory!
Rob Rugg
Advisor

Thanks guys..just seems like it would be nice to even have a class DL58x etc.

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

As others have said it would have too many combinations.
DL58x = 580 & 585, Intel & AMD, then if you look at say the 380 / 580 and the variations from G1 to G5 there's little in common between the oldest and newest.