1751975 Members
5166 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System Identification with SIM 6.2 Problem

Rancher
Honored Contributor

System Identification with SIM 6.2 Problem

I have SIM 6.2 running and an still testing before I shut down my 5.3 server. I have discovered a server, but SIM can't properly identify it. When I run identification I receive the following: The system cannot be identified properly for HP SIM to manage;
unable to get one or more of the following: model, serial number or unique identifier (UUID).
If you pull up the SMH, it dows shows the correct model, but no iLO, which it has. Everything is reported properly with 5.3

Any thoughts?
8 REPLIES 8
Taha Tungekar
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rancher,

During discovery you will get notifications such as Normal, Minor, Major, Critical for each part of the discovery. Can you check which part of the discovery having Major or critical errors?

Can you post the output of your discovery here?

-Taha
Arunav Nayak
Valued Contributor

Hi Rancher,

Please check if agents are properly installed on the servers or not.

This occurs only if HP SIM faces issues while trying to talk to the systems.

If these servers are Proliant based devices then check the PSP agents installed on them.

Thanks,
Arunav Nayak
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I don't know if the original discovery logs will help now. Since then, I have discovered the the new Insight thinks this server is runnin AIX instead of server 2003. FOr some reason it is not picking up the S/N or OS or model. If you try to bring up File spaced used, it also shows nothing. They are ProLiants. I have manually added some system info. However, to Arunav's point, the agents are indeed installed. My old Insight server has no trouble picking up the information with the same agents. Config is the same. I have also been able to discover and identify two other test servers and they are reporting properly.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

On the edit details page, try removing any check boxes that say not to change the details during an ID task and rerun the ID task.
Or, if possible, try deleting / re-adding the server.
Check that SNMP is allowing access to that server in the allowed hosts / correct community name etc.
Rancher
Honored Contributor

When I did the full blown discovery, only 3 servers had this issue which I manually corrected.
Taha Tungekar
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rancher,

Can you post the output of the discovery task here?

-Taha
Robert W. Eastman Jr._2
Frequent Advisor

You are not the only one with this issue and numerous other issues with 6.2. I have also noticed that HP Discovers them improperly. If it does discover them (especially ESX) it has issues with. Reporting doesn't function properly, discovery doesn't function properly, WEBES does not work 95% of the time for us becaues we are almost all ESX, test traps are never received by HPSIM or WEBES from any G6 or G7 servers.

Support from HP is non existant, I have had a case open with them since November on this issue and they still can't figure out what the hell is going on. The only saving grace is that my "Local HPSIM" support is behind me with this issue and trying to get this esculated.
Dream On Alice This Ain't Wonderland
(NTFS) No Time For Stupidity
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Things have gone from bad to worse here. I got so frustrated with it all that I deleted all of my systems and re-discovered. Now over half of the are unknown, SIM is not picking up the serial numbers, product numbers when it did before, and thinks those are running AIX. We are entirely Windows here. As for the reporting, you need to have an event for each server before the reports will pick them up. It is so messed up now that I am currently doing a restore to get back to where I was before I deleted all my systems.