1753650 Members
6068 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: System Identification

Latif Yahya_1
Advisor

System Identification

Have been running the Insight Manager for the last few weeks now and I am now more familiar with it then I was ever before.
One problem that keeps bothering me is the Dell servers where Model is not recognised. I have compiled the MIBS successfully as from what I can see some of the Dell servers work OK.
Few that I have are displaying server model as 'Dell Server'. Weird thing is, when I look at the server properties on SIM, it DOES show me the correct model.
I have checked and confirmed that all the SNMP settings are exactly same as every other server. Servers are also in same domain.
Anyone have any suggestions please?
Thanks.
1 REPLY 1
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: System Identification

Although you may be getting the correct information about different models back, the population of system type does not automatically happen without some additional work. The HP SIM System Type Manager is the rules base that it uses to assign the model field. By default, it simply identifies a system as a Dell. Otherwise, we'd be having to chase every single Dell model to validate and create a rule--really not practical. You can create some additional rules to classify the systems in your environment. I've attached a presentation I delivered last year at HP Tech Forum that has some help on that subject...