1753776 Members
7006 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System Management Homepage - Cannot Connect

Steve Evernham
Advisor

I'll give it a shot, but the revision history makes no mention of any fixes ...
Version: 8.1.0.0 (24 Apr 2008)
Enhancements
New dual domain support for the Smart Array P800 attached to a MSA 60/70.

Requires Smart Array firmware, v5.10 or later.

I downloaded PSP 8.00 from support.hp.com on May 12th and installed it on four servers (two DL380 G2's and two DL360 G4p's, all running Windows Server 2003)... before reading this thread . I have experienced the issues with the https://servername:2381 homepage allowing one access before crashing as described here.

After reading the suggestions above I have come up with a simplified procedure to downgrade the problematic components to PSP 7.91:

1) Run SETUP.EXE in the PSP extract folder
2) Tick "FORCE ALL BUNDLE UPDATES" in HP Smart Update Manager
3) On the next screen click "Deslect All"
4) Select the following three updates:
- HP Version Control Agent for Windows (2.1.9.791)
- System Management Homepage (2.1.10.186 (B))
- HP Insight Management Agents for Windows Server 2003 (7.91.0.0)
5) Configure the updates according to your site's requirements.
6) Click "Install"

That's it! Exit from the HPSUM when installation completes (about 2 minutes on my servers). No reboot required. I have followed this procedure on the four servers affected and all is well after +24 hours.
If this works ... I'll be famous!
Steven Baillie
Trusted Contributor

I have downloaded HP Insight Management Agents for Windows Server 2003/2008 8.1.0.0 24/04/2008 and installed but issue is still there.

hopefully PSP 8.1 will fix this.

steven
BobFuller

As you can all imagine, after having run through a full update of PSP8.00a to all of our client servers, this has been incredibly frustrating.

Typically, I deploy HP Softwares via HP Systems Insight Mgr, under Deploy, (even if an existing support pack is there) Initial Proliant Support Pack install, or sometimes, via VCA.

Is there a way to modify the support pack 8.00a and have it include the 8.10 version of the Insight Agents instead of the included 8.00 stuff? Updates/patches never seem to mention the installation via SIM or VCA, rather only with some local installer... In the past, I know I created a custom bundle, but it was only a couple of items thick--I know it shouldn't intimidate me, but the PSPs are so huge that I'm not comfortable enough with them to do this on my own...

Any word or guesses on PSP 8.10 being released? It amazes me that 8.00a hasn't been pulled from the downloads.

Bob
Jeff Peil
Frequent Advisor

Same as Steve, I have installed the recently released 8.1 agents and we are still experiencing the problem. Some servers seem to last longer than others before SMH fails, but it eventually fails.

Has there been ANY communication from HP in any threads on when the fix is coming?
BobFuller

I think I figured out how to edit the PSP Pack via the VCRM, but the results on the one server that I tried didn't turn out so good. It could have just been that the server itself is somewhat unstable, originally NT4, then 2k, now 2k3.

I just created a new custom baseline, and selected the PSP8.00a. It expanded, showing all the various parts. I deselected the SMHP, VCA and Insight Agents that automatically selected and chose the 7.91 versions. When I went to deploy, under deploy software and drivers, via Insight Mgr, things looked like they were going to go exactly as I'd wanted. The result ended up producing a web page that indicated "There is no system management Homepage" or something to that effect. Eventually, repush, repush the packaged 7.91 and several reboots, it looks OK again. An oddity though that I sometimes see--the SMHP shows all green, no alerts, but my Insight Manager refuses to set the flag back to normal, it keeps it at the Critical or Warning marks. To fix it, I either have to reboot the SIM server or sometimes, even delete the object and rediscover it manually. Whatever something did recently, all my Dell servers blanked out and went back to unknown/unmanaged status. I've reimport the Dell MIBs, but an Identify Task doesn't bring them back as Dells. I'll probably have to whack those objects and do another manual discovery.

Should the IDENTIFY task be able to update an existing object that's pretty much blank? It's not really ever worked for me, but I'm not positive that my expectations are accurate. I have verified that the option to "DO NOT ALLOW IDENTIFY or COLLECTION to modify these settings" on an object is NOT checked.
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

There is a new SMH now available on HP.COM, there are a number of fixes listed but I believe the first one will address this issue:

Fixed issue on httpd lib triggered by user logoff on local system

Good luck,

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Jeff Peil
Frequent Advisor

Rich, where are you locating this new SMH on HP.com? All I can find is the version from feb. 2008. Thanks.
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

Here is one of the download links, you might want to verify that it is the correct one for your environment (OS):

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&swItem=MTX-0ee8400155ae4c2bb066f244b2&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Jeff Peil
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Rich. I also just found a link under the Revision History for the February version. It was not updated under the Software - System Management section of any particular model server I tried.