108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System Model: unknown

SOLVED
Go to solution
Larry Dutton
Frequent Advisor

Thats good news Dave, I like the look of the later version but it's a shame it's not compatable!

I look forward to the resolution! (7.21 perhaps..)

Larry
Saltend
Advisor

I removed our group policy configuration for SNMP and that got most servers working, some still appear to be fubar but only a handful.
Christopher_64

Thanks for posting, misery loves company.

I've seen this on 28+ of my Windows 2003 Ent HP DL580G2 servers. This occurs only on servers that have been upgraded or have previously had another version of the PSP installed. New (clean) installs appear to work fine.

I've forced the uninstall of the previous diagnostics using "sc delete hpdiags" and tried to force the correct install of PSP 7.20 w2k3 using "setupc /use-latest /force". Nothing appears to resolve the System Model: unknown.

In addition to this, the foundation, server, and storage agents appear to be running successfully, but cannot be accessed from the management homepage. The mamangement processor (iLO) is also listed as "none".

There are no errors in any system or application log to identify failures of services or applications. It would seem to be a SNMP or WMI based issue. I've tested the setting as READ/CREATE and READ/WRITE with no results.

I've also opened a case with HP Insight Manager software support to resolve this issue. I will report back if I receive more insight or a resolution.
Russ_50
Advisor

I am having the same problem on my 2003 server. However, I was having this issue before I upgraded to 7.20. I was running 7.10 and was experiencing this issue. I upgraded to 7.20 hoping the issue would be resolved thinking maybe something was corrupt. My main issue is the 2003 server is my version control repository, so all the rest of my machines will not connect to it to update their VCA's. Pleas post here if anyone finds a resolution. Thanks!
Russ_50
Advisor

Ok, I fixed the issue of the System Model: Unknown. I looked at my SNMP settings and found a public community string in the security tab with read-write. I removed the public item and left only the standard community strings we use normally. However, I am still unable to get my VCA to find the repository, even on the machine that actually contains the repository. I tried both using the old administrator password (which it said it does not do anymore) and i have tried several domain admin accounts in our domain.
Dave_419
Advisor

Thanks Russ for the info. Can you advise what SNMP strings you used to have to have it working?

I also have little progress with my HP call - they've said it's been routed to another department and I will be contacted shortly. We'll see!
Russ_50
Advisor

We do one community string with read-only and another one with read-write as the accepted community strings. We also set it to accept snmp packets from any host. good luck with HP :)
Martin_73
Occasional Contributor

We have the same issue with 7.20.
But only when we install the agents with the "Local Access" enabled. If we install without that option it works fine.
Dave_419
Advisor
Solution

Hi all

I have it working now, and can consistently make it not work at will :) That's after using the guidance of others on this forum, thanx!

For me, it's completely related to SNMP settings. For previous versions I haven't touched SNMP, it just worked... But when I went back to 7.1 agent it also didn't work (though it did before, but maybe it was earlier version, not sure now).

Anyway, I had to do the following steps (also screenshots are attached which show the same as written below):

1. Set the SNMP Service properties, TRAPS page, give it the chosen community name and destination to localhost

2. Set the SNMP Service properties, SECURITY page, and ADD the chosen community name with READ ONLY access. This is the setting that seems to make a difference - remove it and you have the "system model unknown" problem.

3. Also on the SNMP service SECURITY page, I have set the trap destination for localhost.

Hope it also works for you. Thanx for the help everyone.

Dave
Saltend
Advisor

I just noticed that on some of my non working servers the settings tab is not there in the system homepage.