Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752587 Members
4134 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System identification without root login

F U-

System identification without root login

I'm currently trying to discover and identify our linux systems with the discovery task in hpsim. At the moment it only works if i enalbe root login for ssh. But usualy we disable root login and use sudo instead. Is it possible to configure hpsim to use sudo for system identification? I have already configured the "Privileg Elevation" options in hpsim but it doesn't affect the discovery task
6 REPLIES 6
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Did you specify already specify a system credential? What version of SIM do you have?
F U-

We use Systems Insight Manager 6.1 - Linux.

I have specified a user in "global credentials". WBEM and ssh login works fine. I gave the user sudo rights on the system but HPSIM doesn't use sudo. You can see the logons in the logfiles but the discovery task fail to properly identify the system without root login.
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

I saw a similar thing with an ESX system.
Unfortunately you do not have more information what the discovery does with ssh.
Sorry I would open a HP service call on HW if the system is under warranty or service.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

If these are HP Servers have you installed the agents?
If you have you should also have snmp installed. SNMP should be enough to ID a server. You just need to ensure the HPSIM is an allowed host on a RO Community name.

Also set the SNMP Trap destinaton to point to the HPSIM Server, so if the agents detect an HW error they can send the trap.
F U-

At the moment we use SNMP for communication. It's a proof of concept to work with WBME instead of SNMP. The agents are installed and works fine. When i enable the root login via ssh all task complete successfully.
The task reports the following message when root login is disabled:

For Linux based operating
systems, you must have dmidecode installed, enable the
PermitRootLogin and PasswordAuthentication in sshd, and use root
sign-in credential.
khalifaalouini
Advisor

hi

did you get any progress on this issue

regards
khalifa