Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752520 Members
4649 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Systems Insight Manager 5.1 with SP1 (with OSEM\ISEE) performance issues (1000+ managed machines)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mariano De Luca
Advisor

Systems Insight Manager 5.1 with SP1 (with OSEM\ISEE) performance issues (1000+ managed machines)

Server Specs:
HP ProLiant DL380 G4
Processor1 Intel XEON at 2.800 GHz
Processor2 Intel XEON at 2.800 GHz
4GB of RAM
Windows 2003 Std
MS SQL2005

SIM Software:
Operating system: Windows 2003
Version: Systems Insight Manager 5.1 with SP1 - Windows
Build version: C.05.01.00.02
Build date: 2007-04-11 17:26
Patches: HOTFIX51_001.jar Wed, 1/31/2007, 10:28 AM EST
HOTFIX51_002.jar Wed, 1/31/2007, 5:24 PM EST
HOTFIX51_003.jar Fri, 2/9/2007, 12:08 PM EST
HOTFIX51_005.jar Tue, 4/24/2007, 6:23 PM EDT
HOTFIX51_008.jar Mon, 7/2/2007, 3:57 PM EDT
HOTFIX51_011.jar Wed, 8/29/2007, 5:49 PM EDT
HOTFIX51_012.jar Fri, 9/7/2007, 5:28 PM EDT
HOTFIX51_015.jar Mon, 10/8/2007, 2:12 PM EDT
HOTFIX51_016.jar Mon, 10/8/2007, 2:18 PM EDT

Plug-in applications:
HP BladeSystem Integrated Manager 2.3
HP Insight Power Manager 1.0
HP Performance Management Pack 4.3
HP Server Migration Pack 2.0.2
HP Virtual Machine Management Pack 2.0.2
Remote Support Configuration and Services 1.0

SIM Environment:
2742 Systems discovered (1078 identified SERVERS)

Issue:
SIM performance is incredibly slow on and off and I cannot put my finger on the main issue. At first SIM was almost inoperable then I found that if I change the schedules for the tasks below to once a day it did not lock up SIM as bad:
Hardware Status Polling for non Servers ran every 10 mins (And on start up of the CMS)
Hardware Status Polling for Servers ran every 5 mins (And on start up of the CMS)

This is now set up to be removed from the list of possible culprits.

With that done SIM was then somewhat "managable" but if a task was kicked off it would lock up SIM and I could not navigate or refresh the web page at a rate that I can say is effecient. It would take over 10+ mins to refresh or navigate to a page.

This is still the case and I am almost at a point to abandon the entire project.

mxdomainmgr.exe is always suspicious as its using 1,600,000K of memory and 100% of one of our CPU cores. This usually is corellated with a task being launched. Read some forum articles but nothing to help me.

I AM LOOKING FOR HELP on speeding up performance and\or figuring out the root cause so I can determine whether or not we should move on. We are planning on pruchasing the essentials packs for all our servers IF this is resolved!

I'm working with HP in trying to get a backend engineer to assist........

Signed frustrated and disapointed!
17 REPLIES 17
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Systems Insight Manager 5.1 with SP1 (with OSEM\ISEE) performance issues (1000+ managed machines)

Cavalarie to help..tu tu tu tu tu ;)

Ok number one, you need to leen down some item,more information is adding up in you SQL data thta is is not needed.So you do not need all informational about you'ree systemes.
HP Insight menu >Events>Event filtering setting> Check Accept registered events with severity:
Check these Critical,Major,minor and Warning, DO NOT CHECK INFORMATIONAL.

PS:Don't ferget to apply you're points,there are situated next to every messages in these thread,next to every messages date and time has UNASSIGNED.

Dan
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Step #2 is to remove all informational date in you're server HP Insight menu Option>Events>Delete Evants

Selete >Informational Events..APPLY>RUN NOW

This reduce you re database alot and then you should a difference.

Dan

PS:DOn't ferget to apply you're points in every messages in these thread,has UNASSIGNED

WHY SHOULD YOU DO THIS?
There are 3 reasons why we feel rating replies is such an important feature:

1.) Others have taken time to help you, so please give them credit for their help.
2.) Your rating will help your peers earn points toward their Forums status, and you will validate the quality of the solution you've received.
3.) Other readers will understand which answer best solved a problem, enriching the community knowledge being shared

Thanks you

Dan
Mariano De Luca
Advisor

Thanks for you tips, not sure if it will help my main issue but it is DEFINETLY a good modification as I am sure there are thousands+ of informational events due to the size of our enviroment. It is surely an excellent suggestion. For this I would give a full 10 points under tweak\tip for overall SIM configuration mod.

Not confident it will be the reason for our performance issue but if it turns out to be I will make sure to update this post.

Any other particular changes to minimze db transactions?
Mariano De Luca
Advisor

Not sure if because the little rabbit coming out of the hat icon will mean this is resolved or not but to be clear its not... :) thanks

"Magical answer Message with a response that solved the author's question"

Not the case as got some good mods but not the actual fix for my problems.

Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Do you try it to see what it did anyway?

Dan
Mariano De Luca
Advisor

Made the changes you recommended but still rather slow....
Going through the list to see if I can filter some discovered systems currently I have the following break down:

Enclosure=98
Cluster=2
Management Processor=729
Printer=2
Rack=33
Server=1017
Switch=2
Tape Library=5
Unknown=362
Unmanaged=518

If I filter out Management Processor from being discovered will the servers not see its ILO associated with?

I can't remeber where it was to choose what to keep or not keep depending on the type of discovered system.
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Did you delete all informational ?

There also information older then a certain time you can delete.

if you filter ILO it will be able to associate them.

Dan
Mariano De Luca
Advisor

I believe it did, showed completed in the task results. How can I confirm manually?
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Take a few server out of the blue and verify there events.

Dan