1753826 Members
8649 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Systems Insight Manager?

Bruski_1

Systems Insight Manager?

Hi,
We have purchased SIM. I am try to find out if we can monitor fully our EMC Clariion CX3 series Storage Array with SIM. I understand that it's a HP product. The EMC Clariion CX3-80 uses smtp, snmp for fault notification of a Hardware failure etc. Can you please confirm if this is possible?

Regards,
Bruce Malcolm

3 REPLIES 3
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Systems Insight Manager?

"We have purchased SIM"

--I'm not sure what you mean, as HP SIM is provided as a free product. There is an HP product called Storage Essentials Enterprise Edition that provides extensive management for HP and non-HP storage and is available with an optional license. Depending on exactly what you're trying to accomplish, you may be satisfied with what's in the free product.

Short answer: given an appropriate MIB for an IP-connected device, yes, HP SIM can receive a fault trap. Going beyond that answer, we'll need a few more specifics.

For more information about HP SIM's built-in capabilities for storage management (i.e. features not requiring the purchase of Storage Essentials) see chapter 10 of the HP SIM User Guide from http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim --> Information Library
Mariano De Luca
Advisor

I have the same issue. I can see that our SIM server is getting snmp alerts but in SIM the system does not list it as an event its captured and the system is showing as unknown. Why is the event not getting all the way into SIM?:

snmputil: trap generic=6 specific=4
from -> 99.99.99.12
Variable = .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.1981.1.4.3
Value = String SERVERNAME
Variable = .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.1981.1.4.4
Value = String K10 Enclosure 1 Disk 8
Variable = .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.1981.1.4.5
Value = String 801
Variable = .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.1981.1.4.6
Value = String Soft SCSI Bus Error
Variable = .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.1981.1.4.7
Value = String APM0005555555
Mariano De Luca
Advisor

SIM shows me this for the server:

System Type Unknown
Hardware Description CX3-40 - Flare 3.22.0.40.5.506
Management Protocols SNMP:1.0

Side note, does SIM need to be able to read to the server I want to monitor? Or can it simply record received events?