1753481 Members
4167 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Terminal Services Web Client

dclaypool
Occasional Advisor

Terminal Services Web Client

Here is a Tool Definition (TDEF) that can be used to add a link to hpSIM to provide easy access to Terminal Services.

Microsoft provides the Terminal Services Advanced Client which is an ActiveX control that can be hosted from Internet Information Services to allow remote desktop connections through a web browser. More information from MS at http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/tsac.asp

The attached TDEF provides a link to a machine serving the ActiveX control from IIS within the context of hpSIM. In the TDEF there is a placeholder for the name of the server that is hosting the control that you must edit before adding the TDEF to hpSIM. Replace the text [SERVER_HOSTING_TERMINAL_SERVICES_WEB_SERVICE] with the name of your actual server running the IIS/ActiveX control.

If you put the attached file, tsweb.xml, into the TOOLS directory of hpSIM, you can then navigate to the BIN directory at \Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\bin and execute:

mxtool -a -f ..\tools\tsweb.xml

You'll be able to find this in the hpSIM menus under TOOLS --> INTEGRATED CONSOLES. If you're logged in when the tool is added, you have to log out before the tool appears for you on the next log in.

This TDEF is offered for educational purposes only. HP assumes no fault for the use of the script and there are no warranties express or implied.

There are a number of examples of TDEF files that are already part of your hpSIM install that are located in the TOOLS directory. Feel free to check them out and steal ideas from them at will!
11 REPLIES 11
Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

Re: Terminal Services Web Client

As always great stuff. Very handy.

After implementing I was a little annoyed by how the default page remains open once you are done in the remote desktop session. To resolve that I change this line:

Window.Navigate("Default.htm")

to this:

window.close

in the ReturnToConnectPage subroutine.

Tim
dclaypool
Occasional Advisor

Just, for clarity, Tim, you're talking about modifying the HTML that the Terminal Services Advanced Client installs and not the TDEF as posted, correct?
Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

Correct. That would be altering the default.htm file in the TSWEB directory created on the server hosting the TSWEB and NOT in the TDEF xml file.

Tim
John Vitiello
Advisor

Great tip. This works great. Is there a way to select a server and then automatically connect to it without having to manually enter the servername or did I hose during the install?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

It should automatically connect. Delete the tool and re-add it, but first make sure that you didn't accidentally delete something.
Duane Dresser

Which tool are you using? Tools - Integrated Consoles - Terminal Services Web Console, opens a blank connection page. Select a server and then, Tools - System Information - Terminal Services, should connect to the server selected.
John Vitiello
Advisor

I get an error when I try the tools, system info, Terminal Services option.

It reads:

A runtime error has occured
would you like to debug?
when I choose yes it states:
Line: 97
Error: Type mismatch \'iAutoConnect'

After I ok through the errors it goes to the default blank connection page.
KyleAnderson

The XML file in the orignal posting is not correct. Replace line 13 with this:
http://milntxe1/tsweb/default.htm?AutoConnect=1&Server=%n

There was an extra backslash in the line. Once removed the iAutoconnect error quits and it works.

I have attached the working file. I hope this helps.
omar morales

Hello all,

This is a nifty tool.

I installed and re-installed the tool and it does not automatically connect.

Is there a way to make it connect to an IP address automatically instead of a name.