cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing the Automatic Event Handling

orven
Frequent Advisor

Testing the Automatic Event Handling

I created a task to send an email to me for any important events such as severe is critical or major.
As a test I removed a power cable from my Dl380 G4 server(Serverx). However, no email as sent to my inbox.

I double check and I can see the server x in my All systems. However no events were reported after I unplugged.

I can confirm that my Email is working since I managed to recieve an email when I did an invalid login to CMS to my computer.

Can you please advise me.
Thanks
3 REPLIES
Paul Kratz
Frequent Advisor

Re: Testing the Automatic Event Handling

After unplugging the cable go to the servers "System page" and there to "Events".
Can you see an Event for unplugging the cable? If yes, check the severity.
I would expect that you don't see an Event for the unplugged cable. If so you need toconfigure the TRAP destination on your server. Go to the Properties of the SNMP service and enter the IP of your SIM server as the TRAP destination. Restart the SNMP service.
For testing reasons go to "Controll Panell", "HP Management Agents", "SNMP settings" and press "send Test TRAP". You should see the Test Trap in the Eventlist of the server.
tmagee
Valued Contributor

It may be that not all events create an alert.

Try using the 'send test trap' option to see if you get email alerts. Access this (if running windows) on the unit you're monitoring by, windows control panel, hp management agents, snmp settings, send test trap. Check in windows event viewer for this event, check in the SIM event viewer for the event received and all being well, your email box will show the alert too.

orven
Frequent Advisor

Thanks! The trap works. However I could not find any event generated,I will do it again and let you know.
I have hundreds of Servers, is there a way to change and add the traps in all my servers.

More power! thanks again