Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753317 Members
6843 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

The log file for database "tempdb" is full error ?

James Glass_2
Occasional Contributor

The log file for database "tempdb" is full error ?

I seem to have a problem with my tempdb transaction log getting maxed out on my SIM 5 server running SQL Server 2000 Standard. The log file grows to 5gb but the tempdb data file is under 500mb. What does SIM do in tempdb? The Insight database is only 200mb in size with a 850mb log file. I don't understand how you can possibly get a tempdb log file over 5 GB when youтАЩve only got 200 MB of actual data??
Is this a configuration issue I have not set correctly or what?
5 REPLIES 5
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Re: The log file for database "tempdb" is full error ?

Do you have "Full" recovery mode for tempdb database and you DON'T have regular transaction log backup?
If yes - change recovery mode to simple
(or start to do regular tranasaction log backup)

"How to stop the transaction log of a SQL Server database from growing unexpectedly"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873235/en-us
James Glass_2
Occasional Contributor

The database is already in simple recovery mode.
James Glass_2
Occasional Contributor

The database is already in simple recovery mode. By stopping all of the SIM related services the open transaction in tempdb goes away and the space is released. The open transaction looks like its resulting from a temporary stroed proceedure. These are the only objects in tempdb right now:
#jtds000001_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________0000B0EA

#jtds000002_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________0000B0EA

#jtds000001_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________0000B0EB

#jtds000001_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________0000B0E9

#jtds000002_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________0000B0E9

#jtds000001_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________0000B0EC

#jtds000002_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________0000B0EB

#jtds000002_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________0000B0EC
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

See if this thread help:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1011231

"Shutting down the Virtualization Management Software (HP VMM) fixed the problem. The log file stopped growing out of control"
NEETI TOLIA
Frequent Advisor

This might work if you are not using VMM. Incase you are using VMM, please follow the following procedure

Perform the following steps to modify the "prepareSQL" parameter to "3".

1. Stop the SIM and VMM services.
2. Change the Hibernate connection URL in the \bin\hibernate_MSSQL.cfg file to:

hibernate.connection.url =
jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://:/;TDS=7.0;domain=;instance=;prepareSQL=3

3. Restart SIM and VMM services.

Please post the results back to the forum.