1752786 Members
5823 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

The most pathetic piece of sw I have ever had to deal with

Mr_Sheen
Occasional Contributor

The most pathetic piece of sw I have ever had to deal with

Why don't you simply copy  what dell do.

Can't belive you think this is acceptable.  

5 REPLIES 5
Mr_Sheen
Occasional Contributor

Re: The most pathetic piece of sw I have ever had to deal with

We have a saying here of "you've been HP'd". We say it when you suddenly get slaped in the face with a wet fish when the last thing you expected was someone in the office with a wet fish.

So you get the message

Successfully added the user,  'Administrator', to the target servers SSH passwd file.

hurray!!!!!! but then

Unable to add the user, 'Administrator', to the target server's SSH passwd file.

oh no I've been HP'd!!!!

Spoiler

SenneVL
Frequent Advisor

In my opinion there is far more pathetic software around, especially in the monitoring market.

It's true SIM seems bloated. it has gained featues and support for more and more devices while attempting compatibility with previous releases. Some features seem to be added with ducktape and workarounds...

I think that is the main reason it is not the most beautiful software around. It might sometimes seem to trick you and needs some persistance to get it to work... but when it does work, it plain works! It then offers some nice integration with HP datacenter hardware (like SAN, tape librabries, PDU's, blade chassis,...)

But... don't feel obliged to use HP software! See it as a challenge to use Nagios, prtg or other opensource stuff to monitor all you need! Hey, maybe you even succeed in using Dell's solution to monitor HP hardware. Good luck.

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

I would agree with you SenneVL..  SIM is a complex tool but it is also very powerful.  It does take a lot of time to setup and get working the way you want.    Just like with any other tool that is made by a major HW vendor, it works best with its own stuff.  The Dell tool obviously worked best with Dell, and Cicso has UCS Central/Manager.  However, aside from a few things I am still working out, it isn't too hard to get most things working.  For example, getting Dell machines to send events and have SIM read them was very easy and it works very well.  Platform agnostic tools work "well enough" in most cases, but again you don't get the integration for a specific vendor.  For example, SolarWinds has UCS support, but cannot read HP enclosures (at least with version 10.3 of their flagship product).

I don't know why people feel they need to drop in and be negative.  If you have an issue, state it and we'll help.  If you don't, you just want to complan, go somewhere else.  I've tried to share a lot of knowledge as I've work with SIM for many years now, over 3 major versions.  I still learn new things and better ways to do things on a regular basis. 

Ah, well..

Mr_Sheen
Occasional Contributor

I accept the points above, and after 24 hours I am somewhat embarrased by my posts.

I have now had the opportunity of looking at a working SIM environment of 50 or so servers. It looks good. However the (cough) TEAM of people who set it up are still using v6, because it took them long enough to get it to work and to know all the little gotchas , restrictons and workarounds you need for it.

I was intrested to find out that the main gripe is the complex documentation that makes a bad situation a lot worse. My experince it was way to complex and even when trying to convey simple concepts (good) , asssumes the readers are IT gurus. Could this be a case of people who wrote the documentation are actually those who wrote the software? Never a good thing!

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for coming back.  Trust me, I have had a very love/hate relationship with SIM.  There are certain aspects that really get me upset (the batch upload tool and management of contacts/sites drives me nuts).  I have a list of 10 major enhancements i'd love to see with SIM that would likely benefit everyone.

Out of the box, just running through the wizard, and adding in some HP stuff is fairly straightforward.  It's all the fine tuning, SSO stuff, event management, collections, etc.. that can really get your head spinning.  I can tell you this - v7 is much better that v6 in a lot of ways.    I agree the documentation can be rough to understand.  I have the same issue with SiteScope, some of it is cryptic, as HP expects you to understand their language.  I also agree with your comments around the documentation is written for iT people.  SIM is not an entry level product, in my opinion.  It's not as user friendly as others, but so long as you stay away from some advanced features, it's not too rough.   I have posted a few "starter" posts on this forum to help people get going.  There are some very basic decisons to be made prior to deployment that will really help (i.e. selection of communication protocols, DNS considerations, pre-deployment of HP agents..  pre-configuration of SNMP, etc).

Anyhow.. state your issues and questions and we'll help.  I have found some folks here with really great ideas on getting SIM to work in better ways.   I've spent way too much time cheerleading SIM (its our main hardware monitoring/alerting tool for 4,000 devices) to give up.  If you're a huge HP shop, you really can't get around it if you want end to end monitoring of HP hardware and devices.

Thanks..

Lance