108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: The system is not a VMware ESX Host

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

The system is not a VMware ESX Host

When I try a VMware ESX Host letting discover a vm guest it doesn't want to. I executed an identify systems and got this:

Running VM Identification
The system is not a VMware ESX Host, or WBEM credentials may not be specified, skipping VM Identification

I already tried to set "System Properties" myself as follows:

type: server
sub type: virtual machine host
sub type: ESX server host
sub type: Blade
sub type: p-class blade
sub type: Proliant

I have this with our four ESX servers.

yesterday I configured a new setup with a customer of ours ( also with HPSIM v5.2 + hotfix ) and there it worked straight out of the box.
I also checked the WBEM credentials and made sure the domain administrator as the 'root' account was specified.

Anybody keen to help here? Looking already for 4 hours into this problem.
I even opened the ESX firewall by running esxcfg-firewall -acceptIncoming

6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

HPSIM needs to identify the server itself, setting the properties probably won't work.

SNMP is the first thing to check as this should be enough to enable identification. I'm assuming you've installed the HP Agents? They should be at least 7.91 if you're running 3.0.2 or 3.5.
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

I installed the HP Agents v7.91 and configured SNMP as well. I'm really stuck, even removing the ESX servers from HPSIM and adding them again doesn't seem to cure the problem.
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

Still struggling with this one. Can't figure out why this works in one configuration and not in another.. anynone?
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

Only difference I can see between the two company's is that one has Proliant Servers and the other Blade servers...
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

Yesterday I did another HP SIM v5.2 with hotfix install.

When I added the two ESX servers, the system immediately recognized all Virtual Machines so I even didn't need to add my Virtual Machines, it was done automatically.

However, in some installations with Blade servers this doesn't seem to work.
It seems that this only works with Proliant Servers as it was in my installation yesterday.

Anyone and idea how I can troubleshoot this further why it doesn't work with Blades?
Brad Klein
Advisor
Solution

We have seen this problem in the development laps and have found the problem is with VMware├в s WBEM configuration. A workaround has been documented in this VMware community thread. We know of this only affecting ESX 3.5 hosts.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/914939#914939