Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753765 Members
5793 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Too many email notifications

Pul

Too many email notifications

I have configured SIM 5.2 to send emails alerts. I would like one email sent per alert.
Right now I am getting emailed a couple of minutes apart for the same alert, every hour. I would like to control the number of emails per alert and how often they are sent.
P@ul
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Too many email notifications

HPSIM only sends 1 e-mail per event generated. Check in the events tab for the device to see what events are being generated.
Pul

Thank you for the quick response.
I do see that we get 1 email per event. What I would like is get an email then deal with the issue. I would like to control how often the emails are sent out. For example: If a hard drive is approaching it's threshold, send an email once and not every hour. I could see once every six hours sending an email. Would sending the email and clearing the event do what I want it to? Once an event is cleared how long will it stay cleared for?
KInd regards,
P@ul
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

HPSIM only send an e-mail when the threshold is breached. If usage then drops below the threshold and then goes over again a new event is generated. But it does not keep generating messages if the threshold stays exceeded.

The only other times messages get generated is if the agents get restarted and the threshold has been exceeded.

So, I'm guessing you have something that is causing the usage to go up / down / up to keep regenerating the events.
Pul

I will look into this. However the emails come every hour. And I can't see how once the disk threshold is exceeded, that it could drop below the threshold and then exceed it in 1 hour's time every hour.

So from your last reply; it makes it sound like we have no control on the frequency of emails being sent out.
To clarify:
Do we have control of the emails frequency?
Kind regards,
P@ul
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

No, because they only get sent once. HP SIM does not keep sending e-mails for a single event.
Once the threshold is crossed that's when you get the e-mail. You don't get reminders or other e-mails except as described above.
Ether it has dropped back below the threshold or the agents are restarting.
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

It sounds to me like something else is happening every hour - which causes a threshold to be reached which sends the alert.
Pul

I am closing the this thread because of the answer that it is the agents and SIM should only send one email per event. It's not the answer I wanted but it is an answer.
Thank you all for your input.