Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753844 Members
7442 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Trouble with PSP

Charanbeer Singh

Trouble with PSP

I tried installing psp-8.30.rhel4.x86_64.en.tar.gz on a HP Proliant DL580 G3 tunning RHEL 4 (U2) 64 bit server that is FC attached to a Hitachi AMS500.

Below is the sequence of events:

1. Following processes went into state D causing the OS load average to in
crease. Within, about 24 hours, the load avg. shot up to 15.

cmahostd
cmaeventd
cmafcad
cmaidad

2. When I tried to stop /restart hp-snmp-agents on the system, above mentioned daemons did not stop and kept running.

3. There was a fifth process called “mptlinux” then went into state D as well.

4. When I tried to reboot the machine, I was able to reboot but those daemons remained in state D even after booting up the system.

5. This behavior also caused an external monitoring BMC patrol agent to go into state D.

6. This server is Sybase database server and databases running on this server were fine.

7. When I tried to uninstall PSP, it was unable to uninstall completely and showed errors since it was unable to stop those 4 daemons.

8. Then I rebooted 2nd time and those 4 agents did not start so the problem was fixed.

9. At the end, I was NOT able to uninstall hpsmh, I got the following error. Then
I manually removed cpqacuxe to get rid of this error and after that I was able to remove hpsmh.

# rpm -e hpsmh-3.0.2-77
error: Failed dependencies:
hpsmh is needed by (installed) cpqacuxe-8.30-5.0.i386

Please note that this system is attached to a non-HP Fiber Channel storage (Hitachi SAN) and is a mission critical production system and there is an urgent need to monitor hardware.

I need suggestions from someone who is proficient with individual HP PSP packages and can help me install only the needed RPMs without having to install complete PSP and impacting any of the existing drivers. This system uses Multipathing and rawdevice partitions on that SAN.