108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Two questions - Dell servers and VMWare systems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon White
Regular Advisor

Two questions - Dell servers and VMWare systems

I have a good idea what the answer to the first question is, but can HP Insight Manager monitor a Dell server? I know that Dell has its own monitoring tool, but I don't want to have to build a second system to sit next to my Insight server.

My second question is about VMWare. I have been using Insight for quite a while, but I have not had any experience with the way it handles systems running VMWare. A co-worker built a VMWare system on a Dell workstation as a test. He put the VM session server's IP address in the range of Discovery. Unknown to us, Insight found it and added it to its inventory. That evening, he shut down the whole system to head home. 15 to 30 minutes later, Insight was paging us that the system was unreachable. Does this sound right?

No, I have not broke out my manuals yet to read up on this yet..... but I will eventually.
No matter where you go, there you are....
5 REPLIES 5
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Dell published a whitepaper with step-by-step instructions on getting PowerEdge servers to be managed by HP SIM. Go to the Dell website and search for Systems Insight Manager.

Jon White
Regular Advisor

I have searched their website and have not found the article that you are referring to. Do you have a link to it available?
jptr
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Jon White
Regular Advisor

That's what I was looking for. Thank you!
NEETI TOLIA
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jon,
This is the answer wrt vmware server part. HP has a SIM plugin called VMM and SMP. More info on this can be obtained at www.hp.com/go/vmmanage

You could use VMM to manage your virtual infrastructure without having to visit a seperate console for the same. What more , it allows you to manage the VM's on ESX, GSX or MSVS hosts. SMP allows you to do p2v, v2v and v2p operations. There are 5 60 day eval license for VMM available for free and there are 5 SMP licesnses that you could use to try out the migrations. There are many more features that you might be requiring for your virtual environment.