1753524 Members
5688 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to Connect to Database - HPSIM 7.1

nate_lindberg
Occasional Visitor

Unable to Connect to Database - HPSIM 7.1

Several weeks ago, I installed HP Systems Insight Management.  My setup included a SIM Management Server, with a SQL shared with several other apps.  After being out of the office for several weeks, I tried to pick up where I left off, only to be met with an error screen when I try to log into HP Systems Insight Manager.  The error message pops up in a box called:

"HP Systems Insight Manager Check Service"

"Unable to Connect to Database.  Check if database service is running."

I have checked communication with the SQL server.  I've verified that the services on the HPSIM server are started.  Verified that there are no issues with the SQL Server itself.  I've rebooted the HPSIM server, however, cannot of course reboot the SQL box.....any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Hope the service is running on 1433 and username and passwd are set correctly.

Use CLI - mxgetdbinfo 

check for the logs inside <HPSIM_Install>\logs\mxdomain*.0.log

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

nate_lindberg
Occasional Visitor

I should have also included that Insight Management had worked fine for several days.  I was beginning to bring my server environment into the system, etc........

nate_lindberg
Occasional Visitor

Database initialization failed for URL: jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://SQL04.OURDOMAIN.COM:1433/Insight_v50_0_121726231;loginTimeout=20;domain=OURDOMAIN;instance= Ex: java.sql.SQLException: Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication.

I see this error is all of the logs that mentioned.

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Hope the DB is not remote, make a entry for domain into "Host" file for SQL04.OURDOMAIN.COM

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

entry :

<IP OF System> SQL04.OURDOMAIN.COM

i.e

127.0.0.1 localhost

16.x.x.x SQL04.OURDOMAIN.COM

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

DBrune
Advisor

Hello!  This thread seems to be the answer to my problem, but I have one question.  Are we to enter the exact string "sql04.ourdomain.com" or is it sql04.<domain>.com? 

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

it is FQDN of the server mapped to the IP address

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

jchacon
Visitor

I have a very similar problem as the one discussed on this thread. I have HP SIM server running on a Virtual Windows 2008 R2 server, and I have installed SIM and its database locally (MSSQLSERVER that comes with HPSIM 7.1). Originally, I installed HP SIM using my AD account. but then I created a service account for HPSIM, and I was able to run HP Systems Insight Manager service for several weeks (I gave the HP SIM accounts all rights and used it to run this service).

Everything worked fine fore several weeks, until I changed my AD account password (which was going to expire in 1 week). About one hour after the password change, HP SIM stopped working. All services are running with exception of SQL Server Agent service, which is a dependent service for SQL Server service. Can you please advise on troubleshooting? Currently, SQL Server Service runns under the HPSIM service account, and SQL Server Agent runs under Network Service account.

Krishna_Kumar
Occasional Visitor

I had a similar issue and found the fix:

if you have already verified that the database is fine and reachable the next is to check the configuration files in the folder Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config:

database.admin
database.props
databaseadminupd.tpl
databaseupdate.tpl

Update the user ID/server name as per your configuration.

if you change the user ID you would need to update the password as well for whcih you would have to go to the folder

Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\bin

using command prompt and execute mxpassword.exe -g

this will provide a graphical interface using which the passord for the user specified in the configuration files can be updated.

I hope I have been able to help.... :)

jghartin
Occasional Visitor

Thx, that was spot on. We just reset our service account password, and we forgot completely about the jdbc connection under the hood.

-JGH