1754020 Members
7189 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to Install MSDE

Bostjan_4

Unable to Install MSDE

Hello,

For the first time I'm trying to install HP SIM release 7.01 on a PC MS XP SP1 machine. When I'd like to install MSDE, I get an error stating:

- Setup failed to configure the server
- MSDE 2000 SP3 installation failed with exit code 1603

P.S. This thread has been moved  from ITRC server mgmt (Insight Manager 7) to ITRC HP Systems Insight Manager Forum - HP Forums Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Haridas
Respected Contributor

Please try the following.

1. Uninstall any previous copies of SQL (MSDE or full version) then check Program Files for anything with SQL in it and remove it.

2. Check if you have enough harddisk space.

3. Make sure that you are running the setup as an administrator or a user with administrator privilege.

By default, the MSDE 2000 SP3 or later Setup utility will not install a new instance of MSDE 2000 unless you use the SAPWD parameter to specify a strong sa password.

To Install a NEW INSTANCE OF MSDE 2000

Open a command prompt window.

From the command prompt, use the cd command to navigate to the folder containing the MSDE 2000 SP3a setup utility:
cd c:\MSDESP3aFolder\MSDE

where c:\MSDESP3aFolder is either the path to the folder into which you extracted the MSDE 2000 SP3a files.

Execute one of the following commands:
To install a default instance configured to use Windows Authentication Mode, execute:

setup SAPWD="AStrongSAPwd"

where AStrongSAPwd is a strong password to be assigned to the sa login.

To install a named instance configured to use Windows Authentication Mode, execute:

setup INSTANCENAME="InstanceName" SAPWD="AStrongSAPwd"

where AStrongSAPwd is a strong password to be assigned to the sa login and InstanceName is the name to be assigned to the instance.

Reboot the machine. MSDE should get installed. Then rerun HPSIM install. Hope it works for you :)

Bostjan_4

Haridass hello,

Thank you for your answer.
I have passed your procedure to the point where I have to assign AStrongSAPwd. Then I assigned a password and the installation failed again. I got a notification Setup failed to configure the server. I don't know if I have writen right password and I don't wher to look for the log files.

Best regards
Bostjan
Thomas Goldbeck
Frequent Advisor

Hello Bostjan,

I have exactly the same problem. Did you fix it in the meantime ? If yes, how did you do it ?
man_1
William Velasco

Hello,

I├В┬┤m installing SIM 5.1 and have the same error. Help me.

William Velasco