108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to add a system to HP CMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brandon Long
Advisor

Unable to add a system to HP CMS

During regular scans a particular server (fully setup with SNMP etc exactly as other functioning systems) does not get discovered.

When attempting to Manually discover the system by servername I get the message 'attempting to add the system'.

When attempting to Manually discover the system by IP address I get the message 'unable to add the system because it already exists'

When looking at the ALL SYSTEMS view and sorting by IP address the particular address does NOT show up. So where is it?

11 REPLIES 11
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to add a system to HP CMS

Do you have Discovery filters enabled or have you filtered the view?
Perhaps it's being hidden?

Also on the HPSIM Server, try using nslookup to resolve the name and address. You should be able to do both.
Brandon Long
Advisor

I am not filtering.

After researching more it seems that there is another system (same type BL10e) with a physically assigned IP address (different than the one I am trying to discover) that when I look at the individual system details I see that it is assigned to both IP addresses in question.. If I delete the one that shows up and rediscover the second one it looks fine until the first one gets rediscovered by auto discovery (or manual). Then things go back to the way they were. I need to disassociate the IP address completely I guess. A simple deletion does not seem to fix it.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

My guess would be a DNS Issue then. Or the server has two IP Addresses?
T. Vander Auwera
Frequent Advisor

If DNS is confirmed to be OK, open a command prompt on the HPSIM server and do a 'nxnode -ld >c:\mxnode.txt' command.
Open the generated mxnode.txt file and search for anything ( name , ip ,..) that looks similar to the server that you are trying to add.
If a suspicious entry is found and you wish to delete it, use the same mxnode command to remove it.
That should clear the duplicate entries.

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library5/mxnode.1m.html

HTH,

Tristan
Brandon Long
Advisor

No the systems in question do not have two IP addresses.

Following up on the MXnode output.
Searching for the first system name comes up with an entry for a Preferred node name:

Searching for the second system name does not currently find anything.

However the former Preferred node name: is in a set of data starting with a System Name entry (which does not follow any of my companies naming guidelines for individual systems) AND it seems to have the two IP addresses that I am having troubles with associated with it. (Also there are other addresses associated with it as well.)

However I do not see where I can remove a group of data by using the MXNode command by System Name.

This seems like the correct syntax for a command to use: mxnode -r nodename(s)|hostname(s)|ipaddress(es)Remove node(s) but there isn't a specific System Name option. It seems that the System Name is where the confusion is taking place to me.

Brandon Long
Advisor

We found another instance of this problem with two different systems than I previously posted about.

Using hte Mxadmin -r commands I removed them.

Then I waited about 15 Minutes and added one of the systems.
Within a minute it showed up in the CMS GUI fully discovered.

I waited about 30 Minutes and added the second system and it came in Correctly, as a separate system and did not cause any issues with the first one.

Going back to my original pair of systems, the above steps did not correct the problem.

I am Still looking for a method to completely disassociate the systems. I am going to wait for a full automatic discovery to see if the original System name that is not a recognized standard comes back.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Try using nslookup for the IP Address, also repeat the request a number of times.
If you have a number of DNS Servers, nslookup tends to try different ones with each attempt. You may find you've got an odd entry on a DNS Server somewhere. You can also set nslookup to use a specific DNS Server.
Brandon Long
Advisor

I tried using NS lookup and everything is showing up fine.

One point I didn't mention: These systems are all CPQ BL10e Blades (G1 or G2), in the same Chassis.

I didn't realize it until physically looking over the systems while working on another issue today.

All of the firmware in the Blades have been updated. Not sure about the Firmware in the Chassis as that is normally out of my scope.
Brandon Long
Advisor

I completed a Firmware upgrade and will be taking the steps to delete all the current items from the CMS. and will be performing individual discoveries later today.