Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to add new node

Unable to add new node

Sorry I wanted to search this thread but I think HP search might be having a problem right now.

Anyway, I have one 2003 server that I have manually added to SIM but it never shows up. If I try and add again it says there is a system already by that name but I cannot get it to display. I have used mxnode to force removal and tried mxnode to add but no luck and I'm not sure what my next step should be. (I know that sometimes it takes time - and I have been plenty patient 24+ hours).

Any help would be greately appreciated.

MJ
3 REPLIES

Re: Unable to add new node

Figures...right when I posted the system showed up...but if anyone has any additional pointers it would still be appreciated.

MJ
Neysters, Lutz
Frequent Advisor

When I have problems in adding nodes, it usually is a problem of name resolution or unmanageabilty. After adding a system that doesn't show immediatley I take a look at "all events" to check for a "discovery event". And by listing "all systems" not only by name, but also by IP address, I usually find it. Sometimes the server is so miconfigured it tries to connect by the second network port, used only for archiving in our case.
Seems a bit more complicated for clusters, but we shouldn't discuss it here.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Check if you have filters enabled under the discovery settings, if they are disable them. It may just be unrecognised.
As the above poster has suggested sort by IP address and check that there are not multiple DNS entries and the server has a different name.
Try using ping and nslookup from the HPSIM server, they can sometimes indicate what might be going on.