108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Unable to connect to specified database

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven Baillie
Trusted Contributor

Unable to connect to specified database

I am trying to install new installation of HP System Insight Manager 6.3 on Windows Windows 2008 R2 SP1 with remote SQL database on Windows 2008 R2 and SQL standard edition 64 bit version 10.0.4064.0.

My sql admin has already created my database called HPCMS and given me the rights of

dbowner.

Every time I try and Install HP sim I get the following error at the database configuration window.

Unable to connect to the specified database. check the specified hostname, instance name, database and port values. Also be sure that the SQL browser Service or SQL agent service is running on the database server.

I have checked the remote sql server and both services are running.

I have read in the forums that the installation wants to create the database itself and that we can not use a new database created for this. Is this correct.

12 REPLIES 12
caveneyp
Occasional Contributor

Re: Unable to connect to specified database

this is of interest to me as well, since I am having the same related issue, with the exception that I did not pre-create my DB as I have SQL admin priveleges and was allowing SIM to create the DB itself.

I have a named instance that I have an alias created for and cannot seem to get any of the credentials to work during the install process for SQL information. see below the information that I posted to another board in the improper area on everything that it is that was tried. we both would appreciate any assitance. thank you!

-------------

"

Trying to install HPSIM to use a remote instance of SQL and does not seem to be working as expected. is this possible? all the instructions state is that it can connect or install SQL express or connect to an existing SQL 2008 install. I would like to attach the HPSIM to a DB server located in an alternative zone that has a named instance. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have attempted the install in the following methods and have not worked, which is why I am addressing the question as to if it even does work, or I am providing invalid credentials.

user: my domain account that the SQL server is located in

pass: my password

domain: domain the SQL server is in

host: have tried virtual name, hostname, IP, and entire SQL instance name (virtual name\instance name)

instance (use this one): virtual name when IP, hostname or virtual name have been defined, or left blank with entire SQL instance name used.

all fail with:

---------------------------
Install Shell
Unable to get information from the specified database server.
OK  
---------------------------"

ompee
Occasional Advisor

i had the same issue and to overcome this i let the installation create the database for me and it worked like a charm.

markstamp22
Visitor

So I have been having the same issue.  However when I changed the instance to the Use Existing: MSSQLSERVER I get a new error Insufficient rights to database.  

Steven Baillie
Trusted Contributor
Solution

I had log a call with HP.

HP's answer is that you can not create a database manually and point the HP SIM installer to this database.

You must have rights to create a database and allow the HP SIM installer to create a new database itself.

steven

Robblue2

What worked for me was:

- Open SQL Server Configuration Manager from the Start menu and expand the entry SQL Server Network Configuration in the left window pane.

- Ensure that Named Pipes is set to Enabled.

- Double-click on TCP/IP and go to the IP Addresses tab. Double check the TCP Port for all interfaces (in my case it differed from the usual 1433) and use that value when trying to connect to SQL.

Hope this helps.

Joe-B
Occasional Advisor

Excellent!  That worked for me.  Under the IP tab for the TCP/IP my port was 47xxx instead of the default.

Thanks.

@Robblue2 wrote:

What worked for me was:

- Open SQL Server Configuration Manager from the Start menu and expand the entry SQL Server Network Configuration in the left window pane.

- Ensure that Named Pipes is set to Enabled.

- Double-click on TCP/IP and go to the IP Addresses tab. Double check the TCP Port for all interfaces (in my case it differed from the usual 1433) and use that value when trying to connect to SQL.

Hope this helps.

Kukan

Yes, Robblue2 's solution worked. 

bdh0001
Occasional Visitor

Thank you Robblue2, work me me as well!
jkn48336
Occasional Contributor

Worked for  me too on a ML350 64bit server 2012 r2