4142 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to discover single server

Charlie M
Occasional Contributor

Unable to discover single server

Hi all,

There is a server (on the same subnet as the rest of the servers) which I am completely unable to add in SIM. So far, I have updated the agents - the VCA on the system still talks to the VCR - and checked the SNMP and agent settings against a known working system. Connectivity between the server and the CMS is fine, and all DNS records have been checked and the DNS resolver caches flushed to ensure there were no mismatches. I have checked the DNS server to verify that both machines are not in error and am able to ping both from each other. I have run both automatic and manual discoveries and it tells me it's attempting to add the system, but never does. At this point I seem to have run out of ideas, so anything you can offer would be great. I am using SIM version 5 (C.05.00.00.00) and the machine I'm trying to add is an ML370 G3 running Win 2003.
4 REPLIES 4
Greg Bates
Advisor

Re: Unable to discover single server

Have you tried adding the server by IP Address?

I have seen this when a server's IP address was associated with another server for one reason or another. By searching for the IP or trying to add it will tell you if this is the case.

I would then delete the other server and re-discover both of them.
NEETI TOLIA
Frequent Advisor

Check if you have appropriate webm settings under global settings. You should have correct login passwd info here.
Neeti
Charlie M
Occasional Contributor

Greg, Neeti - thanks.

Greg:
I had previously attempted to add it by IP, but with no success. Now, however, it's doing something different. Following (I assume) this morning's dicovery, when I try to add it I get the message "A system already exists with the IP Address you provided. Please specify a unique IP address." I have checked there are no orphans laying around and that no machine is defined by its IP address, just hostname. I can't see it, but SIM can - any clues?

Neeti:
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what credentials i need to enter under the WEBM setting. It's set to active, but I've never had anything in here and it's always worked - up until now!
Greg Bates
Advisor

Search all of SIM just for the IP Address. Not necessarily an orphan. It should bring you to another established server. When you go into the system page of the server, the identify informatin will include this IP address and probably another IP Address.

Delete this server from SIM and re-add both servers.

I have found this to be an issue which cluster servers and network load balanced servers. SIM discovers 2 or more IP Addresses pointing to one physical server. Then when it discovers the same IP address (virtual IP or NLB IP) in another server the next discovery, it forgets about the previous physical server and combines both. From there I cannot add the other server back in until both have been deleted. I have excluded any of these virtual IP's or NLB's from the discovery process for a temp fix, but I am working with HP to see if there is a better fix.