4747 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to upgrade HP SIM 5.1 (SP1), database error

Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Unable to upgrade HP SIM 5.1 (SP1), database error

Hello

We are running HP SIM 5.1 with SP1 on Windows (Windows server 2003, SP2), with a backend SQL Server 2005 database using the default instance.

HP SIM 5.1 is running fine, but we are however unable to upgrade to later versions. We first tried upgrading to 5.2 when it was relased and it did not work, now we tried again to 5.3 and it still does not work, the same error, so we have done rollbacks both times.

The installation starts fine, replaces all files in Windows and then launches the database population, where it fails with error "null".

After that if you try to launch the service, the log will only tell you that SIM is not properly configured and that MXINITCONFIG -A should be run, however running that tool will produce the same result. The first 7 steps will result in status = ok, and then it comes to step 8, Database, and fails with error = "null" again.

During the troubleshooting I've also tested a full uninstallation and new installation of 5.3 which works fine except that it of course creates a new blank database which is not very useful to us. If I try to change the database settings to the old database I end up with the same result, i.e. SIM not configured, please run MXINITCONFIG -A, which fails with database error "null", again.

Any ideas on what to do to get around this so we are able to upgrade properly ? Right now we're rolled back to 5.1 SP1 again, both files and database.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Re: Unable to upgrade HP SIM 5.1 (SP1), database error

Oh, almost forgot, I also did run the MXCONFIGREPO -C to check for database errors, but it returns a status of no errors found.
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Re: Unable to upgrade HP SIM 5.1 (SP1), database error

Anyone who can think of anything to check for ?