cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstall drivers/utilities on Proliant servers

AndrewF
Occasional Contributor

Uninstall drivers/utilities on Proliant servers

Is it possible to uninstall specific components that are listed as out of date in VCA ?
We have several servers that have drivers or utilities installed that are not used by the system and can not be updated therefore. I don't know how they get installed ! A manual, forced insatllation will not update them too and they remain as yellow mark in SIM. Now I had the idea to uninstall these components, but not found any uninstall switches in the installation routine. Is it possible to uninstall them anyway ?
11 REPLIES
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Uninstall drivers/utilities on Proliant servers

If we're talking windows then Utilities can generally be removed via the Add / Remove Programs.

Drivers are a bit more of a problem. I've found they're generally there when there's been some kind of configuration change and the old driver is left behind.
Unfortunately because the old hardware has gone you can't use device manager to remove it.

I never did solve this for the Server I had an issue with until I rebuilt the Server as part of an OS Upgrade.
AndrewF
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
indeed the affected servers are WINdows servers. The uninstall with "Add Remove Programs" did not work because not all components are listed. Is there any possibility to see what the setup procedure did during the installation for manually undo these steps (registry entrys, files etc) ?
Oliver Boult
Occasional Contributor

Hi Andrew

Just wondering if you had any luck with the issue of uninstalling unwanted components/drivers as I am having the same problem.

Cheers

Oli
geraintuk
Occasional Visitor

Having the exact same problem here on two DL380G4 servers.
Driver is loaded for a Dual Channel Wide SCSI and it's showing as version 5.1.3551.0 installed with new version 6.4.645.100 available, but when try to update says it has driver installed but is not required.

This means VCA is always reporting as out of date, and I cannot find any way to un-install this driver from within W2K3.

Have also tried manual install of SoftPaq.

Any updates to a solution as installing SCSI card to remove driver is a no-go as all slots are loaded with cards.

Kind Regards
Geraint Williams

We are in the same situation. In our case it is a Windows 2003 server. The out of date driver is the HP Proliant Storage System Driver. Won't let me install or upgrade.

We are having the same issue with fiber channel drivers. (We have a dl380G4 that we removed an HBA from.) Does anyone have any answers to this? This sort of problem makes the Software Status information in SIM kind of useless.

I actually did find a solution. I had to delete the files from c:\winnt\system32\drivers. Then it stopped showing in the VCAgent.

Thanks for the advice and I gave it a try, but after removing the .sys files from c:\windows\system32\drivers and rebooting the machine, the vca is still reporting that my hba drivers are out of date.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Greg.

Extract the files from the new HBA drivers, to get the list of files it installs. Then search for the files that got extracted and delete files with the same name. I seem to remember having to delete a DLL too.
AndrewF
Occasional Contributor

How to extract the files from a SPxxxxx.exe ? Is it possible to get them out with the correct directory structure so I know where to search for files to delete ?

There wasn't a way that I know of to get it to extract to the correct folder structure. But there is an INF file that if you open in notepad you should be able to figure out which folders the files will get installed to.