3447 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Update Server via HP SIM -> VCRM questions

simli27
Advisor

Update Server via HP SIM -> VCRM questions

Hello guys,

tomorrow we do our patchday and we want to test updating our HP servers with HP SIM and the VCRM.

What I need to know is:

Let's say the same server is allocated to two different groups in HP SIM. I start a task to update the first group so the our server gets updated. After group 1 I start a task to update group 2 where our updated server is also located. What happens with the server?

Is there a failure? Or does the task install the software again?

I know that I can just uncheck the server when I need to choose the targets in the update task. But I'm very interested to have an answer to my questions.

Thanks so much!

Regards

Simon

4 REPLIES 4
jim goodman
Trusted Contributor

Re: Update Server via HP SIM -> VCRM questions

The smart update process for Windows servers will compare installed version against the selected SPP - if it is at or above the SPP it will simply skip it as "already installed" unless you select a force install to down grade or re-install. So regardless of how many groups the server is a member of it will only comsume the time needed to query the system. In case you aren't aware SIM leverages HPSUM and the SPP's so nothing really changes for all practical purposes.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello there,

if you update a lot of servers i would use hpsum for the update. Hpsum scans an then pushes the updates needed no more and that is a good thing.

vcrm/vca runs downloads all packages and then runs them all. That costs more networkload and all installers have to run. When it tuns it will install or skip depending if the package is needed, already up to date or needed.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
jim goodman
Trusted Contributor

I believe If you are using HPSim 7x or greater you are using HPSUM engine and it only leverages the VCRMs repository. The VCA --> VCRM relationship in only in that one on one instance. With HPSUM I believe you are limited to collections of 100 whereas in SIM it is whatever SIM can handle with could be in the 1000s.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello Jim,

I believe you are right, i've never seen hpsum running during a VCRM update but that does not say everything.
In my memory i've seen the log also show updates that where not needed. So i'm not sure.
I would say test both and see what works best.

Kind regards to you all,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew