6006 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Updating iLO firmware using SIM and VCRM

robheck
Occasional Advisor

Updating iLO firmware using SIM and VCRM

Hello,

I've configured my VCRM (a windows VM) and attached it to HP SIM.  Everything is coming along slowly; however, I'm running into an issue when trying to update one of the Management Processors (iLO 4).  I log into SIM -> Deploy -> Deploy Drivers, firmware and agents.  I choose a single iLO device, currently iLO 4 v1.05 and recognized here by name as an Integrated Lights-Out (etc..).  I'm taken to the inventory page, then I choose the following:

Lights Out
         Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0 Server (x86-64)
             Firmware - Lights-Out Management
                 Firmware CD Supplemental Update / Online ROM Flash Component for Linux - HP Integrated Lights-Out 4 (English (US))

This installation fails as follows:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//  HP Smart Update Manager for Node x.x.x.x Started: Mon Jan 27 2014 08:49:11
//  HPSUM Version: 6.2.0."53".23426.x64
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Inventory started
Inventory completed

Analysis started
Analysis completed

Analysis started
Analysis completed

Deployment started

Deploying component: CP021804.scexe
Component Filename: CP021804.scexe
Component Name: Firmware CD Supplemental Update / Online ROM Flash Component for Linux - HP Integrated Lights-Out 4
Version: 1.32
Deployment Result: Update returned an error

Deployment error

Deployed Components:
  Component Filename: CP021804.scexe
  Component Name: Firmware CD Supplemental Update / Online ROM Flash Component for Linux - HP Integrated Lights-Out 4
  Original Version: 1.05
  New Version: 1.32
  Deployment Result: Update returned an error

//  Exit Code for Node x.x.x.x: -3
//  HP Smart Update Manager for Node x.x.x.x Finished Mon Jan 27 2014 08:50:22
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////WINDOWS_HPSUM_INSTALL_NOTE,/var/hp/logx.x.x.x
HPSUM_LOG_INFO
HPSUM_DETAIL_INFO

Am I missing something here?  I've tried hunting down and reading multiple HP documents, but none clearly describe this process.

I appreciate any help you all may be able to provide!

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: Updating iLO firmware using SIM and VCRM

Hello Rob,

You need to push the update to the server/OS not to the ILO.

You can also use the lightsout migration tool to update whole subnets or list of ipadresses at a time.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
robheck
Occasional Advisor

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your response.  When updating the iLO, in most cases I usually pass the .bin file into the iLO via browser.  I did manage to push this iLO update using a different OS version in my VCRM from SIM.  I guess I won't be able to upload a baseline just to hit the iLO devices?

Do you have further reading on the 'lightsout migration tool'?  It sounds as though it can do what I need but I can't find any useful documentation on it. 

Thanks!

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello Rob,

I believe you can download the software for Windows here http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=4154847&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253DMTX_a5f018966692491ca72db1e807%257CswEnvOID%253D4064%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.end...

The package is intended for migrating ILO's to use Active Directory but can also be used just for flashing your ILO's. This version can update ilo 2 & 3 devices. If you also want to update ILO 4 devices please first select a server that has an ILO 4 interface. That version can update ILO's 3 & 4. The tool as far as you are going to use it works as follows:
Put you Bin files for the ILO updates in a directory on your server or workstation.
Start the program
Type your ip adres ranges or ip adresses
Type the credentials for the ILO interface
Now do a scan wait for the login stond finish
In the next screen select the Bin file you intend to use for the update
Click on the flash button

One issue you can run into is that you have different passwords for your ILO's so the logon for all ILO's would fail.
This can also be fixed, set the ILO passwords by hand or script or use Active directory integration. The last option is a bit more difficult to explain but not impossible.

Please let me know if you need more support.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew