1752650 Members
5559 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade to SIM 5.0 SP5 Troubles

Andy Ogan
Advisor

Upgrade to SIM 5.0 SP5 Troubles

Trying to perform an upgrade from SIM 5 SP4 to SP5 on a BL20p G2 with SQL as the DB backend stored on a clustered MS SQL 2000 instance housed elsewhere on our network. During the install, the program looks for existing SQL/MSDE installs, etc... and at that point, the Database Configuration page comes up, asking for the credentials of the account under which SIM runs. However, the installer finds the correct SQL server, but wants to update Master, instead of the Insight DB. Obviously, Master isn't the Insight DB, but I can't change which DB the app wants to update, the installer has it blocked out.

Any suggestions on what to try next?
5 REPLIES 5
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

Re: Upgrade to SIM 5.0 SP5 Troubles

I beleive I saw this when I did my upgrade too. After first I was nervous, but I went ahead with the upgrade. It looks like its just using Master as a reference point, and it picks up your correct SIM database just fine. Just proceed with the upgrade.
Andy Ogan
Advisor

Trying that fails. Insufficient rights to database. Even though the account it is using is the DB owner for the Insight DB...
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

My upgrade also had master in the database field, which I found quite odd. But the upgrade succeeded :-)

Regarding insufficient rights, did you log on with the service account when doing the upgrade?

Ole Thomsen
Andy Ogan
Advisor

Tried the install from a RunAs under the account that SIM runs under, failed. Logged into the server with that same account, tried the install, failed as well.
Andy Ogan
Advisor

Found an answer, thanks to Casha and Joel at HP...

It takes more DB rights to upgrade SIM's database than it does to run SIM, so if this error occurs, give the user in SQL the "Database Creator" role, run the install/upgrade, then take the role away when the upgrade is done.

Upgrade went well, running smooth now.

Thanks to everyone.