Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752679 Members
5257 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Upgrading ILO firmware on an upprovisioned system?

SOLVED
Go to solution
rhelfand
Occasional Visitor

Upgrading ILO firmware on an upprovisioned system?

Hi all,

I'm super new to SIM and VCRM, and can't seem to figure this out.  I'd like to upgrade the ILO firmware on systems that haven't been built yet.  Maybe this isn't possible?

In SIM, I  select the system and select Deploy; Deploy Drivers, Firmware and Agents; Install Software and Firmware.  My VCRM pops up.  But then I'm not sure what to select.  If I drill down under Lights Out there are packages for different versions of Linux, Windows and VMware but I'm not sure where to find the generic BIN file like I would use when logging in to ILO and selecting the Firmware Upgrade option.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello there,

There is a tool from HP to configure Ldap authentication for ILOs. This tool has the ability to log onto the ILOs of a range or list. The second screen offers the option to mass flash your selected ILOs. The only thing is that the build-in Administrator password needs to be the same to be able to mass logon to the ILOs. The tool can be found here http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=4194639&swItemId=MTX_b4e5d953ae364b02b5c49ca175&swEnvOid=4064

Kind regards,

Andrew
rhelfand
Occasional Visitor

This is a pretty cool tool, thank you!  I'm still curious if it's possible to do this via SIM and VCRM.  I understand that I can schedule tasks which would be nice.  I have also had the tool crash on me a couple of times, if I'm selecting a large number of ILOs to upgrade.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello again,

I don't know if HP SUM  can logon to the ILOs, you could give that a try. Are your servers blades or DLs?

The online updates of ILOs need an OS to work so i don't think a better option that the tool i mentioned in the first reply is available. And sad to say i know of the bug, depending on the ILO version you can try older verdions of this tool.

Kind regards,

Andrew
rhelfand
Occasional Visitor

Ok, well thanks again.  The tool is very handy.  I don't think I've ever heard of it before, haha.  And it took me a surprisingly long time to figure out how to extract the BIN file from the ILO firmware packages.  But I digress ...

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

Any exe file from the packages can be unpacked either by running het extract or simply rename the extension to .zip and you can look in the package and copy the bin file.

Kind regards,

Andrew