Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753454 Members
6015 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

User ACCESS and Performing Discovery.

Andrew Leyton

User ACCESS and Performing Discovery.

In HP SIM how does one configure a user with limited configuration rights to allow them to do discovery. I do not want to grant them full rights. I tried different permutations of creating tool boxes and authorizations and have not found a combination that will allow this to happen.
2 REPLIES 2
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: User ACCESS and Performing Discovery.

Not sure you'd want a User to do discovery.
I configure HPSIM to discover by subnets in the Discovery ranges. So there's not much need to discover new servers.

You can then restrict a Users views and actions to particular servers. But if you've restricted them to a certain view you don't want them being able to change that view.
Andrew Leyton

Re: User ACCESS and Performing Discovery.

The problem for my group in a nutshell is that we use the HP sim at the top level of the enterprise. because we aquire different business from time to time we need to be able to add those locations in. We want the local server administrators of those sites to be able to do discovery on there site since they know when there environment changes (as in new subnets get added by locations networks) But we don't want them going in and mucking about with someone elses site. We were hoping that the tool could be managed similarly to the way Windows Active Directory or Novell Directories can be managed. That is You can have top level admins who manage the overall Directory but the locations folks can do the discovery on there sites without accessing other users sites. Is this possible with this tool. I suppose we could always just set it up to add systems that send the snmp traps to us. But this is not an elgent or complete solution for what we are looking for. And I was hoping that I just did not know the tool well enough and that there was a way for us to do administration at the site level as well as at the enterprise level without adding to the work load of our enterprise team. So if there is a way please let me know.