Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752433 Members
6061 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using HP SIM in the Data Center to monitor old HP Servers across WAN with different IP ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Using HP SIM in the Data Center to monitor old HP Servers across WAN with different IP ?

People,

I'm currently instaling and reconfiguring the HP SIM v7.4 in my Data Center to monitor several remote office sites (~75 sites) each equipped with multiple versions of server hardware like the following:

HP ML110 G4 (old P4) with no iLO

HP ML110 G5 with no iLO

HP DL160 G6

HP DL380 G5

HP ML 310 G8-V2 

HP ML110 G9

All of those old servers has been installed manually using Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard .ISO and I've managed to configure the HP WBEM provider and HP Insight Management Agent manually eventhough the download site doesn't list Windows Server 2012 R2 in the drop down list. But at least all of the servers can now send out email after it is rebooting successfully.

I've enabled the Windows SNMP feature from the Server Manager.

My question is that, how can I configure HP SIM to send out alert for those old servers with no iLO / management processor ?

Are those old servers can still be monitored by HP SIM for a potential hardware failure or expiring contract ?

Thanks.

Best regards,
16 REPLIES 16
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: Using HP SIM in the Data Center to monitor old HP Servers across WAN with different IP ?

Hello,

If the System Management Homepage shows the components you can configure SNMP or WBEM forwarding to the SIM server. Also update your System Managment Homepage to the latest version due to Open SSL bugs. The latest SNMP and WBEM agents could give you support issues like not recognizing the older hardware.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Thanks Andrew for your explanation.
Yes after installing those WBEM providers and Insight agent on the old servers I can see some components listed in the SMH.

So in this case do I need to configure anything to send some data to the new HP SIM server or HP SIM server can pull the information from subnet scanning ?
Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Could you post a screenshot of a System Management Homepage to see how complete the information is ?

If you use SNMP you have to configure SNMP on your OS to send traps to the SIM server. WBEM traps (subscription) is a bit different. |You have to configure the SIM server to be able to read WBEM information (Admin like rights needed). If the server is identified with WBEM you can make a WBEM subscription. This means you tell the agent where to send it's event to like the SIM server. Once you have login rights for the servers you want to monitor things are a bit easier to manage. With rights in place you can set and replicate settings like SNMP traps and WBEM subscriptions.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

I'll post it tomorrow when I'm in the office.

So in this case the WBEM is easier to configure than SNMP because the server is already in multiple different location but joined single AD domain. Therefore I can use domain admin credentials for the login ?

Is that correct ?
Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

True if all servers are in one domain that could be the easiest. Beware if you have firewalls between your servers and SIM. Most of the time firewall rules are build with the IP adres of the SIM server. In this case try to use the old IP.

I don't know if you also have ESX and or Linux servers ?

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

yes, they are domain joined.

All of the VMware ESXi servers are all running on HP Blades BL 460, 465c G7 & 8 on c7000 enclosure.

I do not have HP servers running Linux physically,

Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

If the ESX is 5.x then the agents use WBEM older ESX versions use SNMP.  I see you have Enclosures. When building a new SIM setup be sure to add the Onboard Admins first. This discovery finds all object in the enclosure like switches, ILO's and servers as serials. The serials get replaced by servernames when the OS is properly discovered (credentials).

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Thanks Andrew,

Yes I'm running esxi 5.1. As for the OA access and the VC modules, is there any risk of outage when doing the scanning with HP SIM ?
Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

No a scan should never give you any problems, Onboard Admins are read by accessing XML webpage on the Onboard Admins. Virtual Connects, ILO, switches ILO's need additional SNMP config on some versions. (like on ilo you need to configure ILO4 for AMS). Here you configure where to send SNMP traps to (SIM server).

Kind regards,

Andrew