Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748271 Members
3837 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Using HP SIM in the Data Center to monitor old HP Servers across WAN with different IP ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Re: Using HP SIM in the Data Center to monitor old HP Servers across WAN with different IP ?

I've generally found it easier to use SNMP only for Windows (regardless of OS version or server model) and WBEM for ESXi (since it's required).  Unless you require a secure method for the traps/communication, SNMP is fairly easy to work with and you don't have to worry about suscriptions working or not.  For iLO4, it's also SNMP, so it keeps things consistent.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

wich protocol works best for you depends on your needs. Snmp is simple but insecure in the V1 version. Wbem is secureand hba info in the datacollection is more complete. HP has a preverence for WBEM and is moving away from snmp  but as long as snmp works it's also easier eith firewalls.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Hi Andrew,

Here's the screenshot from the SMH page of typical deployed server in remote sites:

SMH.jpg

Somehow when the server above rebooted, the email alert is not so helpful like the following:

Subject: Foundation Agents: Health status Change

The system has detected the following event:

SNMP Trap:        11020

Date time:           20/05/2015  10:32:06 AM

Computer:          DCSVR01.domain.com

Source:                 Foundation Agents

Type:                     Informational

Category:            (4)

Description:

A 'Host Health status change' trap indicates that health status has changed.

Details:

Change in health status 'FAILED'

Note: Sorry for the delay. This forum somehow doesn't allow me to login, so I'm doing it from home internet.

Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

The 11020 event is usualy releated to the 2003 agents and i've modified the MIB in SIM to supress this event. It tells you nothing. If i look at the screen you send it seems you are missing the ILO and memory info. Perhaps if you drill down to system you find memory info. You could if you dare pull a disk drom your server only if the Disk is a mirror set.

But who goes seeking for trouble ?

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Yes, you are right Andrew.

But in this case, the ML 110 G5 has no iLO, so can HP SIM query the server with no iLO ?

Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor
Solution

You are right, i forgot that. The system is managed from the WBEM agent, traps are send with WBEM events . If the subscriptions are configured from SIM to send events to the SIM server all should be fine. Datacollection jobs collect info about the server for reporting purposes using WBEM.

You can select your servers in SIM selct Configure and select Manage Communication. Now SIM checks if it's able to receive events for the selected servers.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Many thanks for the assistance Andrew.

I'll try your suggestion and in this case for all WIndows Server I prefer to use WBEM rather than SNMP.

Best regards,