New Discussion юеВ

Using Systems Insight Manager across domains

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anonymous011614
Occasional Advisor

Using Systems Insight Manager across domains

Hi,

Currently, we've set up a test platform consisting primarily of two DL380s working within one domain. We are working with SIM v5 to see how it works and more importantly whether we can apply it to a further live platform that we are looking after.

The problem I have is this. I can log into SIM on the original domain within which the servers are running without any problems using the domain administrator account.

From the other domain, I RDP to the original domain and can login using the administrator account but not the credentials of any new user created through SIM. Any suggestions on how I can get around this? What I want to ultimately be doing is log in to SIM with the credentials from the other domain - any suggestions on how I could do this also?

Cheers,

RS
10 REPLIES 10
Jesse Zellmer
Frequent Advisor

Re: Using Systems Insight Manager across domains

Hi RS -

I actually just recently installed HP SIM v5.1 w/SP1 in our test lab, which is on a separate domain. When you create the new users on the "test platform", there is a "Domain" field that needs to be filled out; did you put the correct domain name in this field for each user?
Anonymous011614
Occasional Advisor

Hey Jesse,

Thanks for your help. The requirements have changed since my last post. This is how we now have it...

We still have the same test platform with the two DL380 running SIM. We can login (as expected) with the administrator account. What I need help with is logging into SIM with a different account created. I login as the adminstrator, create a new user and this new user is also created through My Computer-Manage-Users etc. How can I login to SIM as a different user and how should this user be setup?

Thanks for your help,

RS
Jesse Zellmer
Frequent Advisor

I believe I understand what you are asking. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I assume that if this is on its own domain, then there is a Domain Controller? If you are trying to logon with a domain user (one you created in Active Directory), then when you login, you would put in the name of the domain in the "Domain" field, in addition to the Username and Password fields.

However, if this is a local user you created on that server (CMS), then when you create the user, leave the "Domain" field blank. When you logon to HP SIM with that local user you just created, fill in the Username and Password field, but leave the Domain field blank, since it├в s NOT a domain account.

It's up to you if you want the user to have Full, Limited or None for permissions. I give most people Limited so they can modify there own systems and create reports.

Hope that helps.
Anonymous011614
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jesse,

I think the problem we are having may be linkde to the SIM CMS system. I create a new user through there e.g. mrsmith and I wouldn't enter anything for the domain. I'd give this person access as you said and then through my computer - users, I'd also create mrsmith as a user with a password.

Through doing the above, the user mrsmith still cannot login to SIM - is there something really obvious which has been overlooked?

Cheers,

RS
Jesse Zellmer
Frequent Advisor

You said you have HP SIM installed on two servers or is it just on one?

I just tried creating test users and I think I might have found the issue. When you create a local user on the server, make sure you UNCHECK "User must change password at next logon", otherwise you will not be able to logon to HP SIM with that user.
Anonymous011614
Occasional Advisor

Hey,

SIM is installed on just the one server but is able to pick up the other server.

When I did create the user locally, I'm 99% sure I unchecked the user must change password box.

I'll double check this when back in the office on Monday

Cheers Jesse
Anonymous011614
Occasional Advisor

I tried what you suggested and although I can setup a new user and have them login locally, I can't get a new user to login to the domain. The administrator is able to do this.

When I setup a new user, I gave them full privileges and also put the correct domain name in the domain field - this still doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
Jesse Zellmer
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Are you setting up the domain users in Active Directory? If so, make sure you uncheck that same option in their profile about changing the password at next login, unless you logon to the domain as that user and manually change the password.

I assume your CMS is a member of the domain? So you are trying to create local and domain users to access the CMS, correct? Maybe try giving administrator privileges to the domain account you are trying to login with, on the server the CMS is on.
Anonymous011614
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jesse,

Problem stems from the new users being setup on the wrong domain - brilliant :P

Thanks for your help,

RS