108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VCA Disk Drive Firmware Support

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rancher
Honored Contributor

VCA Disk Drive Firmware Support

Beginning with VCA version 2.2.0.820, the documentation stated that is would have support for disk drive firmware inventory and deployment. Did this not come about, or am I not looking in the right place to update my drive firmware via VCA?
13 REPLIES 13
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

That's interesting, because I remember seeing it there, but I just went to check and now it is gone (at least on the few servers I checked). I wonder if it was there for a while and then got removed with a later version.

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I wonder if it is because I am using custom reference packs and they do not have have any disk information in them...
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I thought I saw it there at one point also and I am not using custom reference packs (too sophisticated for me!) I hope they bring it back, it would be much easier than doing it through iLO!
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor
Solution

I'm almost (note almost) positive that it requires WBEM to be installed. From what I can tell, it does not look like it has to be the source of the data though.

I've got it installed on a DL580 G2. I can see it even with SNMP as default source.

Now, if someone could tell me how to get it so SNMP is always default (There may be a replication task somewhere) then that'd be great.
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Well, I'll be! Graeme, you are right. I installed WBEM on one of my test servers and the firmware showed up. I am assuming that if I need newer firmware, it will show in the VCA. I think it used to.
I don't use WBEM and like to have my servers as "clean" as possible. I must have installed it at one point and that is when I saw the firmware options. I guess it will be part of my installs from now on.

I am with you! I would like for SNMP to be set as default as well!
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Same here. I have been removing all my WBEM installations which explains why I no longer see it.

Nelson
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

You need the "Online ROM Flash Component for [Windows or Linux]" for the appropriate drives. See http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=jWx&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=%22Online+ROM+Flash+Component+for+Windows%22+%2Bdrives&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

This only applies to SAS/SATA drives; parallel SCSI (e.g. Ultra2, Ultra3, Ultra32, etc) does not have the ability to do online flash.

Once you have the firmware in your Version Control Repository, you would need to create a custom Support Pack that contains the firmware and then apply it to your devices.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

They still show up here for some servers. But there does seem to be quite a lack of Online FW Updates for disk drives.
It may be that FW is only being released for the newer drives.
For some servers here that have two similar (RAID 1), but not identical drives I see firmware for one and not the other.
TechGuru
Trusted Contributor

Hi all,

I think Diskdrive firmware is visible only in 32bit systems with WMI.

not visible in x64 and IA64 systems.