4360 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VCA does not see repository

Ariel_7
Advisor

VCA does not see repository

Hello,

I have the VCRM/VCA relationship setup properly on several servers. The VCAs can see the Repository and all is good accept for one server. When I go into the the VCA on the problemed server, I see the following:

The repository specified, X , did not return a result

I've verified SNMP on the bad server, looks good. I know I am using the correct password. I've just updated both the VCA and the VCRM, ran the Device ID and Software Version Status Polling...no luck. Before I updated the VCA I did an uninstall\reinstall.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ariel

P.S. This thread has been moved from ITRC server mgmt (Insight Manager 7) Forum to ITRC HP Systems Insight Manager Forum - HP Forums Moderator

37 REPLIES 37
Jeff Mathews
Respected Contributor

Areil, whenever I've had a problem that just doesn't seem to work from one server, like you have here, I setup a control task to replicate settings from a good server. That way you can mirror the settings from a good server to the problem server and you will *know* that the settings are identical. It seems to work for me, so I would give it a try and see what happens.

Jeff
Jeff Mathews
Respected Contributor

One more thing to check before doing that. On the server that is having the problems how are you excepting SNMP traffic? If you have a specified a server to accept traffic from, you must also include the loopback address as the first entry in the list (127.0.0.1)

Jeff
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You can push the Repository details from a known good server to the bad one using a Group Configuration task.

I take it you can log into the VCA and it's when you try and configure it that you get the error.
Ariel_7
Advisor

Jeff,

Thanks for the suggestion of setting up a control task. I'm fairly new to IM, so I haven't tried this...I'll give it a go.

I am specifying which SNMP traffic to accept, I do have the loopback as the first address and my IM7sp2 server that has VCRM as the second on that list.

Thanks.
Ariel
Ariel_7
Advisor

Rob,

I'll check out a Group Configuration task as well.

Yes, I can launch the VCA, and when I try to authenticate to specify the Repository, I get the error. In the previous VCA version, this was all in one screen, but I still got the same error.

Thanks for the Group Config suggestion.

Ariel
Ariel_7
Advisor

Thanks, again, but no dice. Oh well, I'll keep digging.

Ariel
Jeff Mathews
Respected Contributor

Ariel, have you tried pinging the repository server from your problem server? Just wondering if it can do an acurate name resolution. Maybe there is a DNS issue?

Jeff
Ariel_7
Advisor

Jeff,

Thanks for the persistant attempts at getting to the root of my issue.

I assume I followed your first suggestion correctly as the procedure seemed fairly straight foward.

To answer your question, yes, I can ping the VCRM from the VCA in a terminal server session. However, I realised I did not paint the entire picture as I browse back through the thread...Here's additional (pertinent) info (I know...duh, sorry!)

The first msg I sent is what I see in the VCA LOG:
The repository specified, X , did not return a result

When I first go into the VCA (v2.0), I select Change Agent Settings, It then allows me to update my user\pwd and VCRM repository, I select Next, it then attempts to connect to the repository but comes back with this msg:
The Version Control Repository Manager, at X, could not be accessed using the specified account and password.

However, I KNOW I am using the right password (I am using the default Administrator account). I can say this because I've confirmed with another VCA server.
I've also re-entered the pwd several times no caps lock).

I'm stuck.

Thanks,
Ariel
Jeff Mathews
Respected Contributor

The server you are having trouble with doesn't have any special characters in its name does it? I've seen this kind of thing happen when it has an underscore or something like that.