Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753524 Members
5290 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VCA encountered an error while obtaining the software and firmware inventory

VCA encountered an error while obtaining the software and firmware inventory

I get this message on about 50% of the servers that I support when I go to https://servername:2381/vcagent.

It seems that almost all of the W2K servers have this issue while almost all of the W2K3 servers do not.

I notice that for W2k the latest PSP is 7.60A weven thou for W2K3 you can get 7.90A

If someone installed PSP 7.90a for W2K3 onto the W2K servers would this be the result? or is it OK to install PSP for W2K3 onto W2K systems?

16 REPLIES 16

Re: VCA encountered an error while obtaining the software and firmware inventory

I should note that I am aware that PSP 7.60a is the last supported for W2K... but I am under the impression that a PSP is merely a collection of individual packages and thus those individual packages MAY be appropriate to install, even on W2K.

or am I wrong and HP has not/will not release anything for a W2K system after the 7.60a was posted.

I have decided to try and fix a single server, see if I can figure this out.

I have tried a few things to no avail.
I tried restarting the services, then the server itself. I tried removing all the agent software and then redeploying the PSP7.90a to the server.

The error remains the same. Any advice is appreciated.

I forgot to add that this server is w2k3, dl380g4
Paul_627
Frequent Advisor

What is the error?

I get this message when I go to https://servername:2381/vcagent.

VCA encountered an error while obtaining the software and firmware inventory
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

The software and and firmware inventory is currently kept in an inventory table maintained by the foundation agent. Do you have SNMP up and running with the agents on the systems you are getting this message on? The VCA gets this data by making SNMP calls - it sounds like there may be an SNMP configuration issue or the foundation agent may not be running.

Good luck,

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Paul_627
Frequent Advisor

The link to the error does not work for me, it comes up in ie and firefox as trying to go https://servername:2381/vcagent.

Do you have SNMP up and running with the agents on the systems you are getting this message on?

The SNMP service is set to automatic and is running (using the local system account), The community name and traps are set the same as a working server.

The VCA gets this data by making SNMP calls - it sounds like there may be an SNMP configuration issue or the foundation agent may not be running.

I restarted the following services to be sure they are starting/running
HP Insight Foundation Agents
HP Insight NIC Agents
HP Insight Server Agents
HP Insight Storage Agents
HP Proliant Remote Monitor Service
HP Proliant Remote Monitor Service
HP System Management Homepage
HP Version Control Agent
SNMP Service
SNMP Trap service

here are the log entries from the VCA log

VCA1191339449 10/2/2007 9:37:29 AM The Version Control Agent encountered an error while obtaining the software and firmware inventory.

VCA1191339449 10/2/2007 9:37:29 AM An error occurred while performing an operating system specific operation.